| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Katana 100
Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2019 4:47 am    

Did a search on the forum bu couldn't find much on the about the Katana 100. Did find the Steel Guitar of Nashville video. Seems versatile for guitars and steel (maybe for steel home or small situations). Anyone using one? Any videos? Saw a couple being sold here which always gives one pause. One member commented it was too bright. My intention isn't to change the speaker or modify the amp in any way. I like that the Katana has a headphone out. Comparing to an older Peavey Nashville 112, which wouldn't have the versatility to use with electric guitar.
Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2019 5:19 am    

I’m a 23 month PSG player who’s using a Katana 100, great amp but you need to tweak the EQ, add delay to taste and use the Acoustic channel, I also closed the back with a thick piece of cardboard to get a better bass response. I’m liking it so far and will probably dig into more EQ shaping. Look me up on Facebook, there’s a recent video of me playing a Justice Pro Lite at a monthly Blues Jam.

I’ve notice that when they show up for sale they go fast.

Last edited by Bruce Bjork on 3 Apr 2019 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott McRee

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2019 5:24 am     Katana

I use this amp and love it. Best non tube amp for the steel I’ve used. As mentioned above, if you tweak the eq a bit it’s veey nice.
Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2019 5:34 am    

Bruce Bjork, found your Facebook page (notice you play banjo, I'm just starting to teach myself) but there doesn't seem to be a pedal steel video on the page.
Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2019 5:40 am    

The video is a post by Philip Hosmer on my homepage, posted March 31st, view the bottom portion of the post for the steel part.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2019 7:59 am     Katana 100

I have the 100 head and am running it through my Stereo Steel JBL D-130 cabinet. I think it sounds great. I have also used it with my TT-12 cabinet and it sounds great too. You might want to consider the head version. it has a 5" practice speaker built in that doesn't sound half bad. It also has a presence control that the combos do not have, plus it only weighs 19# and you will have your controls sitting on the floor right next to you. The controls are on top of the amp, which is perfect for sitting on the floor. You can also turn the amp 1/4 turn if you want to sit it on top of a speaker cabinet so that you have what appears to be a combo amp with the controls on the front. The reverb is really good and it has delay and distortion if you need it. I think it sounds much better set on acoustic, but some players prefer the clean setting. There are so many other variables besides the amp, you just have to experiment to see what you like best. This is one heck of an amp, especially for the price. I can't speak for the combo because I don't have one, but it should be good also, but is going to sound different than mine with my closed back JBL cabinet.
Bill Bassett

Rimrock, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2019 9:22 am     Head only

I too have been using a Katana 100 head. I keep it right next to me on a riser so I can adjust if needed. I was using a single 12 in a Fender cab. But then I bought a Jet City cab with an Eminence 12. The cab can be closed or open back by removing a panel. Also features a low Z balanced line level output which eliminates a mic. I'm diggin it.

Once I found my EQ and dialed in the reverb I like, it's been great. My low strings growl a little, on the verge of distortion, but in a good way.
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 10 May 2019 10:02 am    

Bill,will it work as well with the Boss Katana Combo connected to the Jet City Cab with the Eminence 12" ? Thanks.
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 10 May 2019 10:04 am    

OOPS !

Last edited by John Sluszny on 11 May 2019 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Bassett

Rimrock, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2019 10:30 am     Don’t see why not

Check aux speaker out.
Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 5:15 am    

I have a Kanata combo amp but I never been one to set EQ setting because I wear hearing aids. I play a guitar and a GFI SM10 some days sounds good other days not so good. Have any one created patches that you stored with the Boss Tone Studio for Your PSG. I like the Boss Tone Studio software but I never been able to tweek the different pedals to sound good . I don't have the ear for that. [ wish I did ] EQ compression noise gate reverb If you have a patch that sounds good to you that I could download [ using the tone studio] shure would help. Jerry