The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  strings on Martin D 28
Bill R. Baker

Clinton, MS USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2019 8:13 am    

What strings do you use on your Martin D 28. I just
replaced with the Martin Flexible Core SP 11/47 and
do not like them. What do you recommend.
Thanks. Bill

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2019 8:29 am    

Hey Bill, I've been using Martin Phosphor Bronze light gauge (.012-.054). The Phosphor Bronze is maybe a little bit mellower and they seem to retain their tone for quite awhile.

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2019 8:39 am    

I don't have a D28, but I use Elixir Polyweb 80/20 light (0.012 - 0.053) on all my steel string acoustics, including a Martin M5 and a Composite Acoustics dreadnought.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2019 9:11 am    

We use Martin Acoustic SP Phosphor Bronze (.011) on my wife's Martin DPC series (USA Made). It came with .012's but the .011's are better on her fingers.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2019 10:31 am    

I use Martin acoustic SP 13-56 gauge msp3200 80/20 Bronze
on all my Martins except my D12-28 and use light gauge on that. I have a HD28 and a new D21 currently. Gave my D15 to my son a couple yrs ago. I wore out my first D21 (1969) Brazilian rosewood years ago. I like these strings ,they sound good and last a long time. I would recommend medium gauge on any D28 model nothing heavier though!
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2019 1:34 pm    

11-47 on a D-28, IMO that is some underpowered "ammo."

On the guitar below I currently have D'Addario EJ-17 Phosphor Bronze, 13-56. These gauges are great for bluegrass, but I think they are a little too beefy for me in all around use, like going back and forth between bluegrass and Neil Young-Jackson Browne-James Taylor -Dylan songs, etc. If you want to do some bending it requires some effort. Though as Dana wrote above, there are plenty of Martin dreadnought players who always use 13s.

Most of the time in the past few years I've gone with either Martin Retro Monel strings in 12-54, or the newer D'Addario Nickel Bronze in 12-53, but the D'Addarios are expensive. Either of these sets have a fatter, more lush sound right off and aren't as bright as phosphor bronze - they sound "warm and buttery" on the guitar below.

But again, no 11-47s for me on a dreadnought.

I have a Martin dread from the Custom Shop that was a limited run in 2011 called the CS-21-11. Same dimensions as a D-28, but there were a number of guitars for several years where they used "CS" as the prefix because they were built primarily by the Martin luthiers who work in one section of the factory known as The Custom Shop.

Madagascar rosewood back and sides, Adirondack spruce top, Madagascar bridge and finger board, koa binding. It's a great guitar that is based on the Martin Authentic Series specs. When I vist guitar stores with very high end dreadnoughts from small boutique builders I don't feel the urge to get the wheels turning in my head for a trade-in. This is my "lifer" acoustic guitar.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2019 3:25 pm    

I know you'll get a lot of mileage with a Martin no matter the gauge of strings or what model it is. They are all great guitars and I agree if ya wanta do more bending go to a lighter gauge. I used to really like the sound and feel of the "silk & steel strings" but they wouldn't survive much bending. I used to run 11's on my Gibson LG-1 and now have 12's on it.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme