The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rotary speaker simulators
Paul Awalt

Greenwich, Ct.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 9:16 am    

What are some of your prefer settings for RT-20.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2019 2:43 pm    

I use both the B9 and the Neo Vent II. I use the B9 (and a wah pedal) to get the organ sounds, then send it through the "Leslie" (Vent). On my B9 I keep the Mod and Click off, no dry signal, and almost exclusively use voice #1 Fat & Full. Also use an Ashby Solutions half-moon switch velcro'd to the psg to remote the Vent.

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 11:56 am    

The Ventura Vibe https://digitech.com/en/products/ventura-vibe
is cool for two reasons - first, if you just hold the pushbutton down, it speeds up, let go and it winds back down. Nice for ease of use for those who only have two feet!
Second - not a lot of knobs! It does what it does, it is pretty good at it, and it is easy to get the combination of tone you want. It isn't a real Leslie...but it is plenty good enough for an effect - you aren't playing a B3 and wanting it on all the time and perfect.....

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 12:29 pm     Nux Rocktary

Got my Nux Roctary..plenty of YouTube vids on pedal settings and sounds but I had my thoughts on how a volume pedal would work in the expression jack on Nux pedal to control rotary speed but I did not find any vids that showed this feature...I was right in my thinking and what I thought should be possible down to every detail..using a $30 quikLoc volume pedal in the EXP jack on the Roctary I set the slow knob down to the lowest setting..and the fast knob to the fastest setting..this allowed the Quikloc pedal to control the Lesley sim speed from the slowest to the fastest and everywhere in between and stop and corrall anywhere you wanted..I think this is pretty much what everyone is looking to achieve..So you got your leslie sim AND a 2 octave organ sim in 1 pedal..I have a EH C9,Key9,synth9 and a Pog2 and the organ sim on the Nux sounds just as good...IMHO....Oh, by the way it also has a descent overdrive control that is very good.
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 7:34 pm    

I use a Line 6 Rotomachine, which has adjustable ramping and different cabinet settings;an old Korg G4 with wide range of settings; or a Leslie 16 with a replaced speaker (the original Utahs in these and the Fender Vibratones are awful).

The Leslie 16 is the best, being the real thing.properly mic'd it does some amazing things. You DO need to have the original crossover, on/off switch and speed control, though. They just don't sound right when simply used as extension speakers.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 7:40 pm    

Well...I'm now using a Sonicake 5th Dimension 11-effect mini pedal, and a Mooer Mod Factory 11-effect mini pedal....they both have rotary speaker sims, and dang, for the price, they are really fine...it is an effect, and if you are trying exactly to duplicate something else, you are doomed to an eternal search, unless you really get a monster Leslie - but if you can live with it being an effect, with its own sound, but with a Leslie vibe, life gets a lot simpler, and you do know that the audience can't tell the difference...it is a mental shift, I used to be obsessive about this stuff, but I'm a lot happier now...I like a few of the effects on these little pedals...chorus and more....I leave the two of them set for the ones I'll be using right away...IMHO, of course....

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 11:09 pm    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
doomed to an eternal search, unless you really get a monster Leslie - IMHO, of course....

Not necessarily, Steve. Smile

FWIW:

This tiny rotary speaker seems to have its place. And it may appeal to some.

Little Lanilei Rotary Wave Speaker uses a 10" speaker in a horizontal mount with a spinning cone above.

A 10" is the same sized speaker used in a Fender Vibratone which is much larger and heavier than this.

Not the same bass response as a Vibratone, because of the cab size.

Perhaps following Robert Randolph's use of car stereo speakers in his rigs might get a better bass response instead of the Italian Jensen provided.

Made by Mahaffay Amps.

Size: 12" x 12" x 18", weighing in at 16 lbs.

Handles 50 watts @ 8 ohms.

Video below. One showing this in kit form being assembled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFPWb10ei8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBGxYfQ7Gy0&feature=youtube_gdata

It would depend on how the speed is set to make this speaker sound usable. And of course your amp's settings.

A Leslie is about certain speeds, not just any speed.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 10:39 am    

Well...I retract almost all that I said above about the Sonicake and Mooer multi-effect mini-pedals. I returned them both. They do what I said - a facsimile of all the effects in them - but they just weren't wonderful enough to keep. the effect selection knob actually is a potentiometer, and the 11 effects all are a range of somewhat similar things, with a sort of chorus flavor to all of them. (That may be why the Chorus one seemed the best!).

I am still using the Mooer Ana Echo mini-pedal (like Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe). It also seems to have a little flavor of chorus in the echo (I'm not sure I'm articulating this correctly), and is a nice effect overall. I leave it on all the time (lap steel) set to very fast and not much on levels, and I add some reverb from my Milkman "The Amp". So it is sort of a personal choice that whatever it actually does, I liked the sound...