The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Jim "Doc" Stewart - Vero Beach. FL
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2019 11:38 am    

I am saddened today (and happy) that I lost one of my dearest friends of 40 +- years, Doc Jim Stewart. Jim was the one that originally asked me to work helping him in the recording booth at the ISGC in 1979.

Our friendship only grew from there. Linda and I always make 2-3 trips a year to Vero Beach to spend days on end with Doc and Pat. We were there this past week and I could see that Jim had really gone downhill. Damn old Parkinsons Disease.

When we were leaving on Tuesday, Jim only said a couple of words, but they were "Did you fix the lawn mower" and "When will you be back". When I told him it would be a couple of months, his face went completely blank and I knew then, time was near.

Then a couple of hours after we left, we got a call from Pat saying she had taken him to the hospital and did not think he would ever come home.

We shared many a good times together playing steel, looking through his junk that he collected and other fun things.

Jim passed away this morning around 10am

I will surely miss my pal.
This picture was a couple of months ago.

AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

James Stewart Jr

Vero Beach Florida
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2019 11:57 am    

Thank you for your kind words Bill. Dad always thought the world of you and Linda. Thanks for being a good friend to him. James Jr.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2019 1:07 pm    

Sorry to hear this Mr Stewart came to one of our Florida Steel Guitar jams in Lake Panasoffkee about 10 years ago and I got to sit and talk with him.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2019 10:41 pm    

James, sorry for the loss of your Dad.

Godspeed Mr. Stewart.

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2019 7:37 am    

So sorry to hear this. Doc Stewart was a longtime supporter of the Hall of Fame, ISGC and Scotty's Music. The whole Scott family would look forward to seeing Jim and his wife, and later his son Jim, Jr. every year at the ISGC and very much missed them when they could no longer attend. Doc and Scotty were good friends. Our sympathies go out to his family.

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2019 6:13 pm    

Mine and Barbara's most sincere condolences to Pat and the family for the loss of "Doc". He was a dear friend as is Pat. He is now in the house of Our Precious Lord and we will keep Pat and the family in our prayers.
....Roy and Barbara

Buck Grantham

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2019 11:59 am     Doctor Stewart

We are so sorry that dr stewart has passed. He was a great supporter of the steel guiter family and a great friend to us all and will be sorely missed.Our prayers go out to the family. Love Buck and Mitzi Grantham.

Jeffery Self

Spring City,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 7:44 pm     Dr. Jim Stewart

The first and only time I ever met Dr.Stewart, he and a fella named Lloyd drove some 3-4 hours north of Vero Beach from where he lived and this fella Lloyd was visiting. They had heard about a Steel Guitar Jam my late father was having and decided to come spend their afternoon with us at a place called the Lake Monroe Inn in Sanford FL. Doc drove Mr. Lloyd to the show, and what a show it was. It sure was a pleasure to have the afternoon to chat with them both. I remember Doc being so warm and friendly to all that he met that day, and at the end of the evening they both headed off back to Vero Beach.

Condolences to the family,
The Self's

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)