The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  tuning variations vs levers
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 11:23 am    

Lately we have had a few conversations with regard to certain songs involving the 2nd string half tone drop and a few other "notes" we may use for various signature phrases which are on recordings.

We don't have to hold down a lever here and there or even access it . For example, the 2nd string half tone, tune the 2nd string down a half step for ONE song. forget the lever.

another talks about dropping the E to Eb and holding it, well, just bring 4 and 8 down a half tone to acquire an alternate tuning. OR maybe just 4, or maybe just 8.

You just may find that what you are seeking to do is within easy reach.

Guitar players do this all the time with regard to open strings and voicings, drop D being one of the more common. We play around those voicings.

I searched the Pedal Steel Rule book , there was nothing in there that says we can't drop a natural string down a tone or UP a tone for certain songs then bring it back to the original note.

Think simple before we think involved !

Or not. Confused

PS, wanna play Bill Dodgets Honky Tonk on the C6th in E ? sure we do. Drop the 9th string F to an E, the vamp sits right in front of us off the 9th string, which is now the E root. Then magically, the 8th string A, (the 4th) sits right next to the new 9th string E root. No magic wand required, just a slight turn of the tuning peg, F to E.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 1:09 pm    

Perhaps this would work.
https://youtu.be/BAeLOZzJA0o

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 1:14 pm    

Rich yes those are nice, no doubt , but I am referring to Pedal Steel guitars and a few related threads ! Very Happy

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 4:00 pm     Re: tuning variations vs levers

Tony Prior wrote:
PS, wanna play Bill Dodgets Honky Tonk on the C6th in E ? sure we do. Drop the 9th string F to an E, the vamp sits right in front of us off the 9th string, which is now the E root. Then magically, the 8th string A, (the 4th) sits right next to the new 9th string E root. No magic wand required, just a slight turn of the tuning peg, F to E.

Is's that with Pedal 8 is for? Wink

But your point is a good one, and it extends to pedal/lever changes. I have a knee change that lowers the middle D on my D6th along with the high D. I disable the lower change when playing C6th tunes and enable it for folk-rock which usually requires it (it's like the 8th string lower on E9th).

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 May 2019 5:36 pm    

Some times when playing "Mi Vida Loca", I tuned the 2nd string to D for the solo. I need a real firm D note and sometimes the half stop is not working for me.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 May 2019 1:16 am     Re: tuning variations vs levers

b0b wrote:
Tony Prior wrote:

Is's that with Pedal 8 is for? Wink

But your point is a good one, and it extends to pedal/lever changes. I have a knee change that lowers the middle D on my D6th along with the high D. I disable the lower change when playing C6th tunes and enable it for folk-rock which usually requires it (it's like the 8th string lower on E9th).

yes correct Bob, there are no rules. I have yet to retune a K lever or ped for for certain scenarios but many times retune at the post .

Both of my Steels have good 2md string stops but in certain songs I just find it easier ( make that lazy) to drop the tuning a half step ! T

The F to E on C6 is just too easy rather than grabbing a PED, well, for me that is. During an open E based root song I would never use the F anyway.

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 6 May 2019 11:35 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Rich yes those are nice, no doubt , but I am referring to Pedal Steel guitars and a few related threads ! Very Happy

Seems to me it can be mounted on a PSG to quickly change the tuning for a song.