The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  amp/cabinet simulator pedals
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 12:24 pm    

I just became aware of how an amp/simulator pedal might be useful for playing entirely direct into a PA with no amp on stage for my steel. I specifically have read about the Two Note Torpedo C.A.B. M, but there are apparently many others that do the same basic thing.

I have a small rack with a Sarno Black Box and Octal V8 preamp that sound great into a powered speaker cabinet, with guitar speakers. But playing it direct into the PA doesn't sound so good to me. That seems to be the case whether I'm hearing my steel back through a normal wedge monitor or a pair of custom molded IEMs.

I'm wondering if an amp/cabinet simulator pedal, such as the Two Tone Torpedo, would be the missing link. Does anyone have any experience in these matters generally or specifically with the Two Tone unit? Does it really do what they claim?

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 4:02 pm    

I had a multi effects preamp/processor that has speaker emulation. I tried the various settings and although it did change the sound a bit, I can’t say it was a game changer. I suspect it would make a difference with lead guitar rather than a pedal steel.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 4:33 pm    

This particular pedal is clearly aimed towards the rock guitar market for obvious reasons. I suspect all these kinds of pedals and devices are so oriented.

Only one of the cabinet sims seems to be appropriate for PSG. It's a 77 Twin Reverb with orange JBLs. That sounds pretty good, if it really does have that tone.

Also for the power amp sims there is a 6L6 option. I only need the pedal to have one good setting for it to be of use. But I just don't know if it will really produce the tone of a clean Twin pushing JBLs.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 9:23 pm    

This is why some prefer to have their own amp sending them "their sound" and then let the PA guy do whatever to what comes out in front.

To be realistic, many on stage have little to no control over what comes out of the PA and since there are SO MANY variables on what the audience will receive via a PA system, many players forget about what it sounds like out of the FOH and just insist on it sounding good to the player on stage.

Once the band gets going, your instrument will be mixed according to what is coming out of the PA and it may not be your ideal tone you like hearing yourself, unless you're the star of the show and it's a pedal steel guitar concert.

Then factor in that depending on where the person is in the audience if they will hear your guitar everywhere is a gamble as things go out of phase constantly as a given of standing in front of a band with a PA system and your sound will reflect differently and may even disappear no matter what or how you connect your instrument to the PA.

There is no easy inexpensive fix for this.

Ever wonder that the lead singer at a major concert has never really seen who he/she is singing to for the spot lights in his/her face to use a poor analogy?

If you are forced to go amp-less then your options are at the mercy of your PA system's quality and the interfaces to said PA.

Do you have a soundperson?

Or is your group mixing from the stage?

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 9:44 pm    

At most of the gigs I've been playing there is a soundman and the PA is well above average. If I could get my steel to sound good in a monitor wedge or my IEMs then I'd be happy. Whether I'm using an amp on stage or not, I'm always at the mercy of the soundman. Some are better than others.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 10:33 pm    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
I'm always at the mercy of the soundman. Some are better than others.

Exactly. Without pre-maligning any soundperson you may have, I waited to hear your take.

The soundperson would be part of the problem if they are not able to respond to your needs as a musician.

Some can perform miracles with minimal gear.

You already have the Sarno box so you've done your homework. Now the rest is up to the guy riding the faders.

As far as the Two Notes Torpedo, you would have to get one to try it out to see if it's to your liking.

So far the demos I've seen is all grunge guitar.

Would it work for clean steel?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2019 2:03 am    

I have amp/cabinet modeling software for my recording programs such as the Line 6 POD Farm, and several others. I also have some in my POD X3 unit. Can't say any sound like what they are supposed to be modeling.

However, recording with my Steelaire Rack amp's direct out (XLR) is so close to what it sounds like miked that I only record direct with it. I would suspect its the same way sending that to a P.A. board.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2019 7:01 am    

I broke down and ordered the Two Notes Torpedo CABM pedal from Sweetwater. It's on back order. I'll report back when I have something to report.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2019 7:05 am    

If you have a unit like this, the sound that goes to the PA is the same sound that is going to the speaker in your amp.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2019 6:47 pm    

My Two Notes Torpedo CABM arrived yesterday. I immediately took it to a gig and hooked it up. I couldn't figure it out during soundcheck, so up-plugged it and played the gig with a normal amp. Obviously this is not a device to just pull out of the box and try to use on stage.

Today I've been playing a bunch with it. I find the controls fairly confusing, but then I'm not gifted in the world of technology. At first I could hardly do anything except curse. After a couple sessions, and referring to the online manual, I started to make some headway and get some good tone from the unit.

There's lot of ways to connect/use the pedal. I'm trying to use it to play direct into a PA, and only use a stage wedge (or in ear monitors) to hear myself. I'm sending the steel to a volume pedal, then to a Sarno V8 preamp, and then a line out to the Torpedo. From the Torpedo there is a line out (XLR) to a mixer (Midas MR18), and then to a fairly small and cheap monitor wedge (Alto TS308). I'm using the reverb in the Torpedo unit.

It really sounds pretty good. I'm using the power amp and speaker simulations for a Twin Reverb with JBLs. It's pretty convincing. And it has various microphone simulations. I like the Royer 121 ribbon mic best.