The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Perfect Touch Fingerpicks
John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 9:24 am    

I was at the Dallas convention and stumbled into the Perfect Touch booth.

She shaped some picks for me. It was quite a process, and she had all the tools going, ring straightener, pliers with cushioning, etc.

Right hand has always been my weakest suit on pedal steel, so I sprung for the expensive picks. I have to say their service was spectacular. She even straightened and shaped my old National, which I had stepped on and never got back to correct shape.

I just returned home and had the opportunity to try the picks. It is quite a different strategy. The picks are touching your finger in different places, there is a bit of play in the grip, and yet they don’t move.
The tone is very good. Not quite as big as the old Nationals, but warmer than the JF.
These picks do solve a few issues I have, like catching my acrylic nails in adjacent strings. I find my hand seems more relaxed due to the subtle movement of the picks.

Their large thumb pick, I have not bonded with. The blade needs to be filed down to size and I haven’t had time.

There are apparently some top banjo players endorsing these picks.

Have any of you pedal steel players used Perfect Touch picks?
I’m curious what your impression has been of them.

John

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 10:10 am    

It took me a LOT of shaping but I am now using the thumb pick pretty much exclusively. I keep my old pick around in case I wake up and just have to go back. It is a very strange feeling but once you overcome the oddness, the advantages are a less squeezy fit on the thumb yet it stays in place with little or no cuticle contact.

The fingerpicks.....a work in progress. I am VERY particular (I didn't say picky!) about fit and shape of my fingerpicks & how they wrap around my fingertip. So far I haven't succeeded with the Perfect Touch. The idea of wearing picks clear of the cuticle is very appealing. I've tried some of the other solutions and I have not liked them at all. This comes a lot closer so I will keep trying.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 10:56 am    

I was trying to decide on PT’s or ACRI about a year ago. Went with ACRI and I’m pretty happy with them. Didn’t need any shaping to speak of, just a little tightening of the bands, which are very secure, comfortable, easy on the cuticles, and don’t catch on strings.

But your testimonials here have me curious again and I am going to try a set of PT’s. Not the thumbpick though. Very happy with Fred Kelly’s.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 11:01 am    

I bought two finger picks at the Texas show. They do feel quite a bit different. I'm still trying to get used to them. The tone seems a thinner than my regular picks.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 4:29 pm    

I doubt I could have done the shaping the way she does it. We worked on my picks for at least 20 minutes, maybe more, and she knew her stuff.
The index and middle fingers are a different band. The idea being, to not have them clang together. You can use the same band if you want.

I have noticed acoustically, the pick resonates a bit more on pick blocking, due to the relaxed fit. Not sure if that comes through the amp.

I have been using the Fred Kelley thumbpick with them so far, works fine and the tone is consistent.
John

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 4:30 pm    

Fred, what is ACRI?
John

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 6:25 pm    

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/picks/acri-fingerpick-106285.htm
They look like little ancient Babylonian war helmets.

Last edited by Fred Treece on 22 Mar 2019 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2019 6:28 pm     Purrrrrfect Picks!

John,
I bought my first set of Perfect Touch picks from Rusty at the Dallas show in 2006 +/- and have used them to this day...most comfortable picks I’ve used. I have a backup set just in case. I also play 5-String Banjo (yes, I confess). I bought the thumb pick but didn’t care for it. I used Dunlop picks for 30+ years and the Perfect Touch picks made it easy to make the switch. IMHO of course...Carl

Tom Belliveau

Billerica Massachusetts
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2019 12:31 pm    

I got my picks about about a year and half ago. It did take me awhile to get to used them. I do use 4 picks including the thumb pick. My right index finger has arthritis so that's why the 4.I do like thumb pick. They do not fall off. When I switch to 6 string I have to work at taking them off. I like the picks. Tom (Ducky ) Belliveau

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2019 1:09 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
https://www.elderly.com/accessories/picks/acri-fingerpick-106285.htm
They look like little ancient Babylonian war helmets.

Perfect! They will match my gigging clothes. This pic was taken when I was a drummer. Check out the huge cymbal. Whoa!

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2019 6:29 pm    

I searched for a long time before I found the perfect thumb pick. Super great for speed picking and blocking. No unwanted noise from the strings with this one.

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/picks/thumbpicks/fred-kelly-speed-pick-thumbpick-pk24.htm

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2019 8:03 am    

Richard Laughing Laughing Laughing

Steve Geis

Fayetteville, GA USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 8:49 am    

Tommy Dodd has best thumb picks ever: made of Kevlar (same stuff they make bullet proof vests out of). Got my pick from him about 10 years ago I think, and still using it and has NO WEAR & REAR at all! still good as new !!!! I may never have to buy a new thumb pick.