The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Uncle Tupelo - No Sense in Lovin'
Michael Hill

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 7:51 pm    

I wouldn't expect to find this tune in many set lists but here are a few reasons why this song is perfect for seasoned beginners.

It's not hard but it's not trivial either.

It shows you can do a lot with 2 pedals and 1 knee lever (A B D).

The pedal steel is prominently featured through the whole song. It's not hard to hear what it's doing and there's always something to play.

There are some classic licks but they're not always played exactly the same way.

Some runs are played with blocking and some are left unblocked.

There is interesting harmonic analysis to be done. The pedal steel follows the chord progression but sometimes in unexpected ways. For example, you may wonder why you're on the 5th fret for the B7. Analyze this to see why it works so well and take pleasure when you see how well it set you up for the upcoming F#m.

On a personal note, this is one of the many songs that made me want to become a psg player. I remember thinking, if I could play that song, that would be awesome. Awesome indeed!

Pdf is here:
No Sense in Lovin

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2019 11:20 am    

I like that song too, Michael. There are few other steel tunes on that record that are tastefully done, but they let Lloyd Maines play loud and proud on that one.

You're smart to be analyzing the fret positions so you can apply the knowledge to other songs. That position you mentioned -- fret 5 for the B7 -- is actually common: two frets back from the open position is a really useful partial 7th chord (A-pedal, hitting strings 4 and 5).

Or it can be a 9th chord if you add in strings 3 or 6.

You can get another inversion by releasing the A-pedal and then either lowering the B strings (if you have that lever), or by moving the bar back one fret and raising the E's a half-step. Moving between the two inversions of the chord while the strings are ringing is a thing.

That position is an oasis in what is otherwise a "7th chord desert" in the part of the fretboard below the open chord position... it's a long way down to the next easily usable option.

You hear that two-back position a LOT in classic country. It's custom made for working that A-pedal as you slide into it.