| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New perspectives in multi-neck tunings
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 5:49 pm    

I thought I'd share something that has been brewing in my head for a while and has finally found its way onto my Clinesmith "Leo meets Paul" D-10.

I usually play a single neck 8-string guitar tuned to Jules Ah See C13 and have been working on developing some new techniques to help me play what I want, but there are some things that even with countless hours of practice are just not going to happen. I view playing lap steel guitar as an exercise in problem solving, so I am always trying new ideas.

The D-10 above is a lovely guitar that has been confined to its case for a while. I had it strung up with two very similar but slightly different versions of C13 because I don't need anything else. I only play my own arrangements now and if I need to make a tweek to get something, I do it. However, recently, without the assistance of any botanicals Laughing , I took a chance by stringing the 2nd neck up to the mirror image (yes, backwards) for the first 7 strings. This has been more useful for me than any other tuning I have attempted or dreamt of in the past. Without really getting into specifics, the mere act of picking renders a new sound simply because of the orientation of the digits.

I am learning the neck backwards (just pretty much using my own scale book to help with this) and for shits and giggles I've learned a few steel guitar favorites. I don't expect that anyone else would be foolish enough to do this, but if you have ideas--crazy ideas--go for it!
Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 6:19 pm    

Love it! Great idea!

Problem solving on the lap steel is the best.
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 4:21 am    

That's a pretty wild idea!

Also agree on the problem solving aspect. It's one thing that has made me recommend the "one tuning and stick with it" approach for fellow beginners (I started a year and a half ago). I've found that tuning (Jules C13, likewise...nothing magical or exceptional about it, plenty of tunings have a ton of depth, its just what I like and what I know) keeps "expanding" for me as I find new ways to hit chords, new slants that produce interesting and useful chords, etc. So working out or arranging a version of a song is a fun exercise...a year ago I would be jumping back and forth from I IV V positions constantly, now my vocabulary in the tuning has grown, and things are a bit smoother and nuanced than that.

One trick I do (also stolen from Jules) with a multineck...playing Sand in B11 on one neck (key of C), detune the second string on the C6 neck to B, for a final open palm harmonic sweep with a Maj 7 + 6 chord (whatever that is called technically) on the C6 neck after playing the 1-5-1-3-5 (fret 1) 6 3 (open) on the B11 neck.

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 6:20 am    

The Jules tuning is (low to high) C, Bb, C, E, G, A, C, E?

NJ
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2019 8:34 pm    

Something I've been wanting to do for a long time and just got around to: I got a string damper that Jennifer Batten used to sell and installed it. I will be in my cave for a few months if anyone needs me....