The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  tone knob won't come off on my Excel
Oliver Samland

Hamburg, Germany
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 8:10 am    

The tone pot on my Excel came loose (when turning the knob, the pot turns also). I'll need to remove the knob. There is no little screw that holds the knob on the pot's shaft, so I guess it is just pressed on. I tried with quite some force to pull it off - with no sucess. Before I destroy it: am I missing something? Are there any other methods a knob can be fixed to a pot? (For instance, on the pot shaft is a tiny clip ring, I'm not sure if it might be accountable for holding the knob in place so I hestitate to remove it.)

Furthermore, this particular pot has an off switch/bypass switch when dialed back completely. I couldn't find a similar pot, where would I look for a replacement for such a pot?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Ollie

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 8:36 am    

i use two spoons underneath to lift up the knob.

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 8:54 am    

I don´t know what value pot you need, but AES has pots with switches:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/potentiometers_0?filters=Type/Size%3DSwitched

HTH. Good Luck with it! Cool

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 8:58 am    

A couple of screw drivers usually work for me, but there is a "special" tool!
https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Maintenance/Schatten_Knob_and_Bushing_Puller.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2019-03-gp&gclid=CjwKCAjw96fkBRA2EiwAKZjFTatSRtYh48I5s0pfQmXLZfM0pMu4suOLkHstK_fXBbYTZMuysmijqxoC-BEQAvD_BwE

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 9:18 am    

Look again very closely with good light, Oliver. My Excel has an identical looking knob on the very small tone control pot, and it does have a set screw directly opposite the index line which takes a 1.5 mm hex key. If that is not the case here, then the knob probably has a spline to engage a splined pot shaft, and Mike's "two spoons" idea will probably get it off without damage.

The pot appears to already be well beyond salvation, and the knob is fairly easy to replace here in North America, so I'd just concentrate on not marring the endplate.

Antique Electronic Supply in the US has very similar knobs and appropriate pots available. (see the link in Michael Maddex's post above).

Have you contacted WBS steel guitars? Perhaps Wolfgang can help you closer to home.

Finally, could you post a picture or two of the whole guitar for us Excel fans?

Good luck with this.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 2:34 pm    

With the pressed on knobs on my Les Pauls, I take an old t-shirt, slide the edge under the knob skirt, and slide it so it goes all around the knob. This gives you a comfy handle to pull on, and won't damage the surface of the guitar.

Two spoons is a good idea too, just use protection!

Oliver Samland

Hamburg, Germany
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 4:06 pm    

Thank you guys for the helpful input!

2 little screwdrivers did the trick. Smile
As the knob is recessed into the backplate, spoons, cloth or that special knob removal tool (!) wouldn't fit in the tiny gap around the knob in this particular case. But these are all good ideas for more accessible knobs.
Luckily the pot still works just fine, I only need to solder the resistor back on (which came off because I ignored the problem for too long... Embarassed )

Chris, this Excel interstingly has serial number EX002 (or is it a label for the model?). Mitsuo said it is about 35 years old, like from the middle-eighties. Pretty amazing that he used basically the same parts back then already that he uses for recent Excel's. I ordered a vertical lever (the pics are from before I installed it), and it fits right in, easy installation, all the holes were pre-drilled.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 4:13 pm    

Excel has been making quality steels for a long time. Here's an ad from 40 years ago:

https://www.b0b.com/sgwest/pp7902p7.htm

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2019 6:10 pm    

Thanks for the pictures, Oliver. That looks like a sweet little guitar, and I'll bet it is pretty light too.

I'm glad you solved your problem.

I see split screws on the changer, I believe. Is that 5 raises and 3 lowers I see?

That is smart to maintain parts compatibility for such a long period. I guess you can do that when you get it right the first time. Meanwhile his changers and keyless models have evolved radically over that time frame.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 1:17 pm    

Even more interesting is the little black FUZZY sticker on the underside is the exact same sticker that just came on my 2018 S-12 Superb! With Mitsuo, I guess some things actually don't change.

I'm of the opinion that there are no two Excels that are exactly the same, even if you throw out color and number of pedals and knee. They all have a little tweak from the one that came before.

That's how Mitsuo rolls.