The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  sho bud maverick tuning
Paul Langtry

Chippewa Bay,ny
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 6:26 am    

I need help with the pull rods of the C pedal not pulling equally at the same rate. The swivel with the 2 pull rods ,one going to the 4th.[E] and one going to the 5th[B] tuner are of equal length . The swivel it self is parallel to the tuners. When the C pedal is pushed the 5th tuner is pulled halfway to its stop before the 4th. tuner starts to move. Could the 5th.tuner ,somehow, be weaker than the 4th allowing it to be pulled more easily? I'm new to PSGs and have very limited knowledge about the Maverick. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 10:48 am    

it's a primitive system. You didn't say whether you are able to tune both raised notes accurately, if you can, don't worry, you are OK. The 4th string raise to F# needs more travel than the 5th string, if you can not raise both notes accurately, you can change the connection point of the rods, the outside holes will give more travel. It's really a combination of things, the pedal travel should be checked, it should travel enough to raise the 4th string, then see how that affects the 5th string. If you can raise the 4th, you can probably adjust it so that you raise the 5th to the right note.

Paul Langtry

Chippewa Bay,ny
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 4:05 pm    

THANKS MR. MOORE, THE 4TH AND 5TH TUNE RIGHT TO E and B at 442 on my little METROPITCH {KLIO}. As soon as can get it reassembled I'll let you know how I make out here. Thank again for the quick reply. Paul

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2019 5:16 pm    

Paul, before you do anything else, make sure you are using the correct procedure to tune. The Maverick is a pull-release guitar, you should first tune all the raised notes with the tuning keys, then use the screws located at the right end of the guitar to tune the open notes. Your problem with the 4th and 5th string might be that you have those screws turned in too far. After you tune the raises at the keyhead, be sure to tune the open notes with those screws. On the strings that are lowered, 2 and 8, tune the open notes at the keyhead, then use the screws to tune the lowered notes.