The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap steel DVD or streaming lesson recommendations
Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 6:34 am    

Have been playing C6 since last summer when I dislocated the ring finger on my underarm fretting hand. Since then I've fallen down the Steel without Pedals hole a bit and have acquired two Supro Lap Steels, one Regal Resonator and *drum roll* have a Melbert 8 in progress!!!! I've done the Homespun Cindy Cashdollar Bluegrass dobro lessons and enjoyed that a lot. Also done the Lap Steel 101 DVD from the instruction section here on the forum. I'm not so much into the hawaiian or swing (though I appreciate the skills that can be gleaned from those courses). I'm hoping someone will have a suggestion for Lap Steel instruction that is more Americana centric.

Thanks

Jim

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 7:21 am    

Lessons with Troy

Marvin Raff

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 10:00 am    

Different people do better with different teaching methods. For me, Lessons with Troy tells me what I need to learn in a way that's easy for me to assimilate.

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 2:01 pm    

Thanks ya'll. I started off with a few of Troy's lessons and they were indeed useful!

Jim

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2019 9:42 pm    

There’s a short video Fromm rafael mcgregor on YouTube about doing string pulls which is brief but helpful. Tyler Nutter has an Instagram page, no lessons but good videos his technique is flawless. Doug Beaumier’s 25 steel tubes book is a really good start. I think I butchered all the names here.

Luke Foo

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2019 7:29 pm    

Since you liked Cindy Cashdollar's dobro DVD, why not buy her lap steel DVD's? I have her 2 lap steel DVD's and enjoy them very much.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2019 7:41 pm     Re: Lap steel DVD or streaming lesson recommendations

Jim Pollard wrote:
m hoping someone will have a suggestion for Lap Steel instruction that is more Americana centric.

Jim, I don’t really think what you’re looking for exists, but if you were to spend some time getting inside the C6 tuning by learning the parts played by the greats, regardless of style, you’d be more equipped to be able to play the things you’re looking for. I was really into Americana steel players like Eric Heywood and Greg Leisz when I was getting deeper into it. Once I learned how steel players approached playing the C6 tuning (I studied a lot of pedal steel players too) it unlocked a lot of stuff for me to the point where I was ready to go off in my own direction with it.

Who are some of the artists you like? I guess my real point is that ‘Americana’ stuff is song based and the players are playing what fits the song using language they learned from other sources.

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2019 10:55 am    

Mike,
That's sort of the conclusion that I came to, though I did find steelguitarcamp which extends upon the C6 101 DVD that I've already done, and is available via streaming which is very nice. As far as artists go I like Steve Earle, Tom Waits, John Hammond, Terry Allen, Van Morrison, Willie (you know which one). That kind of thing. So, to sum up, yes I'm continuing to explore C6 in more depth which is what I'd expected the answer to be.. but hey. If you don't ask.. you'll never know right? And yeah, I say I'm not into western swing but the truth is I grew up on that stuff here in central Texas and anything Cindy Cashdollar is playing I can get into. So, my inconsistencies are exposed!