The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Dual Professional Electrical problem!
Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2019 2:15 pm    

I need help here from those of you who have good electrical knowledge.
My Fender Dual Professional has developed an electrical problem that I don't understand. My outside neck stopped working. If the selector switch is in the middle position both necks stop functioning indicating some sort of a short I believe. If the selector switch is only on the inside neck, it works just fine. There is a ground wire soldered to the underside of the mounting plate of the outside neck pickup. When this is disconnected both pickups work loud and clear......however...if you touch the outside pickup with you hand you get a nasty hum, but the pickup still works. I've pulled that pickup out of the guitar, it still does the same thing. It seems that ground wire is causing a short. It's been wired like this for ever, why cause a problem now? Also know this. These pups were completely rebuilt many years ago by Jason Lollar and still look as new. No bobbin collapse. HELP!

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2019 4:45 pm    

You've developed a short from the coil to ground. Do you have an ohmmeter? You can troubleshoot if you can measure ohms. Owning an ohmmeter highly recommended... you can check batteries with it too, they can be had for 10-15$.

Check the resistance of the coil from hot to ground.

Luckily I happen to have a flood victim junker of the same type as what you have... so I can see what you're talking about. The hot wire goes straight in. The ground wire stops to ground the plate, then continues on in. You can unsolder the ground and measure the ground (black) wire to the plate and the white wire to the plate... they should not be connected without that black wire touching the plate. If they are, then your pickup coil is shorted somewhere. Divide and conquer!

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2019 5:23 pm     Thanks Stephen.

I’ll pull it apart in a day or so and tell you the outcome. Thanks again!

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2019 9:17 am     Problem Solved

The problem with my Fender Trap pup is solved. The pickup was shorting out where the hot coil winding is soldered to the eyelet of the bobbin. Fender puts a piece of electrical tape there to insulate it. That somehow moved and was no longer doing its job. Replaced the tape making sure that the coil winding that loops through the eyelet and around the outside edge of the bobbin was covered. That was the area giving me all the trouble. All is well and working fine.