The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Randy Forguson, New Smyrna Beach, Fl.
Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2019 2:11 pm    

This is a bit late but I only just found out that Randy Forguson passed away last August. I never saw anything about it on the forum, even after a search. He was a popular steel player that played a lot in the Daytona Beach area. He was one of the first guys I met in the area who played steel back in the early 70's. He played at "Castaways" in Daytona, in the house band for some time and he was a pretty nice guy, good at guitar and pedal steel. Anyway since he was a steel player and I'm sure more than just myself here on the forum knew him I thought it would be worth mentioning. That's him in the picture under this thread.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2019 7:42 pm    

Godspeed Randy!

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2019 5:26 pm    

Yes I knew Randy a few years back when we subbed for each other in the "Boots & Barstools" band. Helluva nice guy, too. He will be missed.

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 10:23 am     Boots And Barstool Band

Boots and Barstool band? Man, I think it must have been about 15 years ago, (at least, maybe longer) I heard of a band with that name. They played at Blackie's in Deltona, Dave Petticord (pardon the spelling Dave) played steel with them that at the time. That guy has some serious speed.

Anyway with regard to Randy, he really was a nice fellow. Never said anything negative about anyone.

Jeffery Self

Spring City,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 5:38 pm    

Dang Barry, Now that's digging up some bones. It must have been 30+ yrs. ago, I remember Larry playing at Blackie's with Norm Krause and Les Varnes and a guy named Dave Courson. Not sure if you know any of them fella's or not. Your friend Randy looks familiar but I don't ever recall him? When you mentioned Blackie's, that seems like a hundred years ago!

Take care

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2019 11:12 am     Blackie's

I knew Norm and Les pretty well. At the time they were what I am now - "Old School". I saw you pop play with Les and Norm both but I'm not sure who Dave Krause was, unless he was a keyboard player. At one time or another I played a little with all those guys, even Randy and your pop. I played Blackie's a whole bunch too, back in the day when it was a little joint in the woods. Now it's hard to see from Saxon Rd (I think that was the name of it) because of the strip mall next to it and some of the other businesses there as well. On a similar note, my daughter (your dad always called her "Brat") just sent me photo's of some heavy equipment knocking down the Lake Monroe Inn which has been shut down for some time now. I sure miss that area and those times but I guess it's like they say, the world keeps on changing. Kinda makes me want to go back in time, not to change a thing, just relive and feel the same things the same way one more time.