The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do You ever Play gigs with backing TRAX?
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 9:44 am    

I often play solo gigs with backing TRAX. I am wondering if any of you guys play to TRAX? And How do you play them back?
Many years ago I used Cassette TRAX, Then Mini-discs, CD's, DVDs, Laptop computer and now MP3 players.

I have seen others use Ipods and Ipads and I am wonder what are the pros and cons of each. (Battery Life) Reliability, ease of use, portability etc.

Shocked Dom

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 10:24 am    

I oft times play with tracks created with BIAB.
I have quite an elaborate playback system so they really sound quite good.
I have even received compliments on the sound. Very Happy
Erv

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 12:39 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I oft times play with tracks created with BIAB.
I have quite an elaborate playback system so they really sound quite good.
I have even received compliments on the sound. Very Happy
Erv

You have me curious about that elaborate playback system, Erv. Do tell?

Gary Patterson

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 1:09 pm    

Not for gigs, but for worship at church: I created an extensive library of worship music for my church some 10 years ago. For many songs, I used BIAB to generate "backup" tracks, and then imported them into Cakewalk (midi sequencing program) where I edited them and added lead and harmony lines copied from the hymnal.

For playback, we used a bank of three "sound modules", which were wavetable-based libraries of various orchestral and ethnic instruments. Inevitably, some sounds were better than others on these modules, so that's why we had three of them. In general, the final results sounded reasonably close to authentic musicians playing authentic instruments. Today, you can probably achieve the same results with a good sound card or maybe just buy used modules on ebay (Korg, Alesis and Roland made good ones,) Or, if you have a General MIDI keyboard, that would be a good choice. Of course, all of this needs to play back thru a decent quality amplification system, sized according to your venue.

The biggest project I ever did this way was to sequence the entire score of Godspell for a theatrical production. Took me months to complete, but it sounded very good.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 1:53 pm    

Fred,
My system is pretty dated but still works well.
I download my BIAB midi tracks to a floppy disc by means of a unit called a "Data Disc".
Then it goes to a very high end Edirol sound unit that converts the midi tracks to audio.
I then feed this into a regular pre-amp, amp and then a pair of Peavey 15" enclosures.
Or, if I'm lazy, I just burn a CD off of BIAB and call it good! Very Happy
Erv

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 7:45 pm    

I use Band in a Box 18 with my laptop. It has real band instruments so you can really get a good mix. It s the most versatile tool you'll ever need.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 10:29 pm    

To answer Dom's question, I use a Samsung tablet which is way cheaper than an iPad and quite adequate. Just for trax I could use my phone but the tablet is a good size for displaying charts also. Battery lasts an evening and more. I carry a charger anyway.

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2019 6:32 am    

Yup, years ago in a duet. My friend programed hundreds of songs with drums, bass, keyboard, and whatever else may be useful. We had a unit that would harmonize with the lead vocals. We played Country, Pop, Rock & Roll (50s, 60s, 70s) and Big Band. Also a little Jazz, He would program and bring me a cord chart if it was something I was not familiar with. I would go out and do the bookings. We played all the animal clubs, VFWs, American Legions, bars, Senior Living 55years old requirement, and golf courses. We stayed busy and were well compensated. He played lead guitar, did nearly all the singing and I played steel and had a unit that I could get an organ sound if I needed to.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2019 9:42 am    

no

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2019 5:43 pm    

The problem with playing your tracks from a laptop, iPad, cell phone, tablet, etc. is that they don't have a good enough sound card. If you add an audio interface you can bypass the sound card and have a high quality signal to send to your PA system. I use the Behringer U-Phoria UMC 404HD. They don't cost much and the difference in sound quality is hugh.