The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  4 neck stringmaster owned by noel boggs
Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 4:43 pm    

I had the misfortune of spending most of the week in the hospital with pneumonia. I was watching "Pawn Stars" and Noel Boggs' daughter brought in a 4 neck Stringmaster trying to sell it for $50K. The Pawn man called in an"expert" to evaluate it. He said either $30K or $15K can't remember which but I fail to see where it would be worth anywhere near that. Am I missing anything? I don't doubt it's authenticity or hers.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 8:24 pm    

Wishful thinking, trying to cash in on a name....

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 6:07 am    

That's a very unusual instrument. Never seen one like it with the MkII features (hardware and 24.5" scale) and MkI electronics (slider switches and no blend pots). Wonder if it's a prototype which along with the player association could push the price up but not sure how much.

Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 6:18 am    

A guitar is worth what someone will pay at a given moment. On previous episodes Rick Harrison purchased and then sold (at auction) a Stratocaster used by British studio guitarist Vic Flick on countless hit records and film scores (including the early Bond movies). I think Rick paid 60k or so but at auction it brought less than 30k. He took a bath on this instrument.

In the case of Bogg's Quad, I agree that the high number is wishful thinking. Other than Bigsbys I haven't seen the big numbers happening in the world of steel.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 8:11 am    

Mike Harris wrote:
On previous episodes Rick Harrison purchased and then sold (at auction) a Stratocaster used by British studio guitarist Vic Flick on countless hit records and film scores (including the early Bond movies).

That Stratocaster was used on many hits (including Goldfinger) but "The Bond Guitar" - the one that plays the famous riff on the James Bond theme was a semi acoustic f hole jazz guitar.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2019 8:18 pm    

Mike Harris wrote:
A guitar is worth what someone will pay at a given moment. On previous episodes Rick Harrison purchased and then sold (at auction) a Stratocaster used by British studio guitarist Vic Flick on countless hit records and film scores (including the early Bond movies). I think Rick paid 60k or so but at auction it brought less than 30k. He took a bath on this instrument.

In the case of Bogg's Quad, I agree that the high number is wishful thinking. Other than Bigsbys I haven't seen the big numbers happening in the world of steel.

Exactly this ^^^

It never ceases to amaze me how many people still believe that “rare equals valuable”. Dollar values are determined mostly by demand. If nobody wants whatever it is I’m trying to sell, it’s essentially worthless to anyone but me. Of course no one knows this better than a pawnshop pro - and even they get burned once in a while. As with that Strat.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 8:37 pm    

Incidentally, they didn't make a deal.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2019 10:01 pm    

The Noel Boggs Quad was rolling up and down the aisles of the SoCal vintage show this January. I stopped to admire it as a historical piece, but don't recall that I even asked the price.