The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kemper Profiler head - any users?
T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 9:54 am    

I had a friend lend me a Kemper Profiler Head yesterday. I ran it into two of my SPLIT self-powered cabinets. It's really very nice sounding. It occurred to me that some fellow forumites might have developed or discovered some cool sounding profiles for steel. I saw in another post that Bruce Bouton is using a Kemper. Anyone else? Thoughts? Profiles? Thanks!!

Richard Nelson

Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 4:20 pm    

I got one on loan too. I like the Little Walter 50 212 by Micheal Britt. It sounds like an amp miked. It’s a great piece of kit but it’s overkill for a steel player. For a guitar player whose using lots of different sounds it’s great. For steel you only need one good sound. I wish Kemper would do a smaller cheaper version. I just was recording directly with it. No amp. Ive been using the Atomic Amplifirebox too. See the other post. It sounds ok at home, I’m going to gig it this weekend. If I was on a big touring gig that forbade amps I’d have a Kemper for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChkzP48NKKSiredddt-NGEQ?view_as=public

www.myspace.com/ricknelsteel

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 2:19 pm    

Hi Richard, I’m traveling without the Kemper so I did get to read all 268 pages of the manual. Man, that thing is designed well and the manual is the best I’ve ever read. It makes me want to buy one just to support the company. I play mostly pedal steel and you are right about needing only one sound. I get a great sound with a Sarno V8 octal preamp and two of my SPLIT cabinets. I am curious how close I can get by profiling the V8 and then using stereo reverb and delay. I am also curious about using the Kemper for lap steel. I love what Harry Manx does with slide tones. I also dig many other lap and slide players. Imagine getting a glimmer of Sonny Landreth’s sound on a lap steel. I am very curious to hear the Little Walter 50 profile. I have one and it has pretty much one sound - but that sound is great. I have an all tube Standel 50L15 that I can’t wait to profile. It sounds really good and retro. You can’t get a sound like that with a Fender or any other tube amp. Super fun stuff,

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 2:55 pm    

Love my Kemper! But I use it for lots of different instruments, not just steel. It's great for just about anything with a pickup. Just picked up a Headrush FRFR 112 powered cab to pair with it - sounds good, very good!

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 2:57 pm    

Supro Black Magick profiles work well on steel. On the Rig Exchange, look for anything labeled "BD-PSG"...those are some profiles I made.

Aaron Johnson

Lemoore, CA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 4:15 pm    

You guys are really making me want to try one of these Smile

Richard Nelson

Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 6:30 pm    

Yes if your a multi-instrumentalist the Kemper is the way to go. It’s like having a different amp for every instrument. I haven’t tried it with IEMs but I’m sure it’s great. I tried the Atomic Amplifirebox tonight and it sounded great which is amazing for first time out. Lovely warm bottom end and a bit of breakup just the way a valve amp would when you push it. I did spend about 5-6 hours tweaking it with the computer before I took it out. I’ll try it again tomorrow to see if it’s consistent. I’m using it with IEMs which are humble Sennheiser IE 80s simple dynamic with moulds.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChkzP48NKKSiredddt-NGEQ?view_as=public

www.myspace.com/ricknelsteel

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 5:04 pm    

I enjoyed my Kemper quite a lot before ever playing out with it. I pretty much gravitate towards the "Big Twin" profile and the Little Walter profile. BUT: Live, running through a good PA is where it really shines shines shines! I'm going out with it set to "Master Mono" and tell the sound guy to leave the EQ set straight up on 0 to preserve the sound of the amp model. The level going into the PA is set to -18db and it sounds really full with no worries of clipping no matter where the volume pedal is sitting. Connected to the monitor out I'm using a Yamaha DSR 112 that sits near me for that speaker-on-stage feeling. The fx are built in and are wonderful. I've got it in a soft case so I can lift a good part of my entire rig with my pinkie finger. That's one of the best parts.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2018 8:05 am    

The kemper is a great tool to have. It has a multitude of amps and EQ options.....perfect for dialing in a room at a gig. If you can get past the “option anxiety” of having so many choices, it is wonderful. However it’s easy to get lost in trying to use everything that it offers.

I too find that I generally only use one amps sound.....something in the blackface Fender camp. Still, the EQ options as well as multitude of fx still makes the kemper intriguing.

Still, if you are thinking about getting a kemper for portability, well I have found that I end up bringing just as much gear to a gig with a modeler.

You’ll definitely be the sound guys best friend.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2019 6:15 pm    

Just looking for updates here. On one of my gigs, we're being asked to move towards direct sounds only and the Kemper seems like an obvious route to try.

I need something that'll play well with steel, dobro, electric, and acoustic guitar. I'm know it'll be great for electric and acoustic guitar but steel and dobro? Who else has had experience, good, bad, or indifferent, they can share?

Thanks!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2019 7:12 pm    

Love my Kemper. In fact I just spent the last few hours playing with different rigs. Paired the the atomic neo wedge, great system

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2019 7:48 pm    

I’m wanting a Kemper so bad right now I can’t stand it. I plan on playng steel, electric guitar, mandolin, and six string banjo thru it when I get one. Being able to basically have a Little Walter, Dr. Z Surgical Steel and other steel amp profiles in one box would be increadible. I just have to sell my real Dr. Z amp first in order to fund one. Technology can be awesome.

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2019 6:15 pm    

Been using one for over a year. It's awesome, especially whet running in ears...