The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Junior Knight's Dobro simulator.............
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 12:01 pm    

I've seen Junior Knight on the Penny Gilley show lately using some sort of Dobro simulator on his pedal steel. It really sounds great. Junior, if you see this or if someone else knows, can you tell me the brand of the unit and where I might find one...........Thanks, JH in Va.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 9:15 pm    

Jerry, I'm curious, too. I use the Bradshaw Resonator and it's quite good.

autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2019 6:13 pm     Goog Rich Match Bro

Just talk to junior.....his dobro simulator is the
Good Rich match Bro....It's the old one when they first
came out several years ago.
He is playing a 2 peavey 112 heads mounted in a special cabinet by Tommy Huff + 2 sica 15" speakers in a tommy huff
cabinets.
Hope this helps.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2019 5:37 am    

The trick is to use and practice with one.
Tom Bradshaw's simulator is a good one.
My experience has been when first connected at home any unit does not sound quite right, You have to experiment with it.
However when out in a live situation and in a louder environment it is an acceptable experience.
It is a style of playing that is necessary and seems to me that it works best on two or three strings and doesn't usually work as well across all 10 strings.
I have tried and owned BoBro, EQ pedal, Bradshaw, Goodrich. Telonics.
Also using a microphone on a real DoBro in a loud band is no easy feat ether.

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 7:12 am     More Resonators!

I posted elsewhere on the Forum that I sold out of the 500 MXR Resonators that I originally produced. I'm contemplating doing another production run if enough people alert me of their desire for one. See my web page: www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/resonator.php for a demonstration of the units' sound, then tell me at tommybradshaw@gmail.com if you have an interest in owning one. ...Tom

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 8:09 am    

I've got an original model MatchBro (probably the same model as Junior has) and one of Tommy's MXR Resonator's. Both are excellent. The MatchBro has died on me more than once and I've been able to fix it but if it dies again I'll start using the MXR Resonator.

The key to getting a good "Dobro" sound is first use the plastic (or whatever it is) bar that comes with the MatchBro and second and probably the most important "think Dobro" when playing. Don't just use it as another effect device. I've fooled Bluegrass pickers with mine and I've had people come up to the stage on a break and ask where the Dobro is. Our lead guitar picker's brother-in-law was the guitar picker in Bill Monroe's band in 73/74 and he likes my "Dobro" sound.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 4:08 pm    

Junior Knight gave me an old Matchbro about a year or more ago. He might have had two not sure. Still got it in a seat. Long before there was dobro simulators I used the end off a wooden mop handle. It's the same size and shape as my steel bar. Just a matter of sawing it off. On a gig it got close to a Dobro.

Cass Broadview

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2019 11:58 am    

George Redmon also uses the Goodrich Matchbro. While on the bandstand with him, i observed him using the grey plastic bar, in addition he also places a black felt type of unit under the strings. Just what the black (non electric) thing is or does i'm not sure. But he gets a very convincing Resonator Guitar effect. He uses just a touch of compression as well i believe. He also doesn't use pedals or knee levers while simulating Resonator, and played using bar slants. Although sadly george is playing very little country anymore, i know this is how he used his Goodrich Matchbro. The past few years, george has been playing funk, soft jazz, and sacred steel, on his Whitney, Williams, and Excel keyless Pedal Steels. Hope this helps out. Cass