The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  tuner out for emmons volume pedal?
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 11:26 am    

has anyone modified an emmons volume pedal so that it has tuner out jack?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 11:47 am    

Rather than buggering up a classic pedal that's no longer in production, I would suggest using an inexpensive ABY box, such as the Morley. All ya' gotta do is run a cable from the VP's output into the ABY, and run separate cables from the ABY to your amplifier and your tuner. Works fine for me.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 4:54 pm    

I'd also suggest an A/B box, so the tuner isn't on all the time. But if you want to put another jack in your pedal, see the sticky-note at the top of the "Electronics" section. Winking

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2019 2:04 pm    

yeah, i think i could wire a jack fairly easily, but i'm more curious if anyone has modded the emmons pedal physically to put another jack in.

i also appreciate jack's comment about not buggering it up. i'm not keen on the a/b box because it's one more thing to set up and plug in, and i'm often playing at festivals where there isn't much time to set up your rig.

i'm going to experiment with some non invasive ideas and see what i come up with.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2019 2:37 pm    

At the top of the Electronics section links, Randy Beavers has described how he did it on his volume pedals. I have modified 2 of my own and they work great.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2019 7:39 pm    

I did it to my Emmons volume pedal, and as it turned out--a very simple way. I agree with the thought of not wanting to cut something up for a modification--I'm a stickler for leaving things "stock". Years ago I remember a steel player who had a modified Emmons volume pedal--he cut the top housing-side out(cut made where red line is) in this picture....

He then drilled a hole for another jack in front of the other 2.
One would probably have to use a jig saw mounted in a table saw top, and then utilize a guide to carefully cut it straight.

I came up with cutting a 90 degree piece of aluminum and drilled holes for the jack and rear volume pedal support. I bent it slightly for best position and angled it so the cable would angle to the right--out the rear of the pedal--and toward my tuner.

It has worked great--and nothing cut or drilled in the pedal!

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2019 2:16 am    

great minds think alike, butch. this is exactly what i way playing around with last night. great idea!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2019 5:13 am    

I love the idea here with that rear jack.

Just thinking out loud here, another option, 100% non-destructive, would be to extend out from the out jack (for clearance) with a double male into a box, splitting into two jacks, one with the 1 meg resistor for isolation. The only down side would be that it doesn't directly tap the input signal and therefor cannot tune silently.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2019 8:45 am    

I just right out of my guitar into a Peterson tuner.
As far as I can tell, on or off, it doesn't affect the tone. Very Happy
Erv

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2019 2:18 pm    

well, this is my next thought, erv. i am also directly out of my guitar into the tuner (stroboplus HD) at the moment. with all the hullaballoo about cable length and cable quality, i wonder what the effect on tone really is...i guess there's only one way to find out!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2019 2:31 pm    

Dave,
That's the tuner I use and can't tell any difference in the tone, with or without the tuner.
I can't say the same for a Boss tuner I used for years, that one did affect the tone.
I had to have an on/off switch on my guitar in order to use the Boss. There was a switch sold a few years ago that was handy for doing this. I think it was sold by The Best Dang Gizmo. Very Happy
Erv