The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peter Tork
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 9:57 am    

Just read a news story that Peter Tork has died at 77. Though he's famous for the Monkees TV show, he was a fine musician in his own right. Though The Monkees were a fictitious band, if I'm not mistaken Peter actually played guitar on several of their hits. Later, he released some solo albums.

Not sure if there's a direct steel guitar connection, but he was somebody who I always looked up to. RIP.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 10:32 am    

Saw Peter play & met him at the Right Track Inn in Freeport, Long Island back in '82. When his band launched into the old Monkees hits, he brought the SRO crowd house down like no performer I had ever seen do. he will be missed.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 10:41 am    

Thanks for the story, Rich.

Oh, and I should clarify...

The Monkees were 'fictitious' as portrayed on the TV show, and they did not all play together on the albums.

BUT... They DID in fact tour and play instruments live... and they did that well!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 10:54 am    

Posted today on FB by Michael Nesmith:

Quote:

Pardon me if I am being dogmatic -- but I think it is harder to put together a band than a TV show -- not to take anything away from TV shows. These days I watch MSNBC -- mostly aghast at what I see -- and what I am missing is "madcap".

Peter Tork died this AM. I am told he slipped away peacefully.

Yet, as I write this my tears are awash, and my heart is broken. Even though I am clinging to the idea that we all continue, the pain that attends these passings has no cure. It's going to be a rough day.

I share with all Monkees fans this change, this "loss", even so.

PT will be a part of me forever. I have said this before -- and now it seems even more apt -- the reason we called it a band is because it was where we all went to play.

A band no more -- and yet the music plays on -- an anthem to all who made the Monkees and the TV show our private -- dare I say "secret" -- playground.

As for Pete, I can only pray his songs reach the heights that can lift us and that our childhood lives forever -- that special sparkle that was the Monkees. I will miss him -- a brother in arms. Take flight my Brother.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 10:55 am     A nice review

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/peter-tork-endearingly-offbeat-bassist-and-singer-in-the-monkees-dies-at-77/2019/02/21/479cf4ae-35ee-11e9-854a-7a14d7fec96a_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1c7a04259058

Though using the words “offbeat” and “bassist” together shows some music journalistic ignorance, it is a very insightful article. Peter obviously cared about Monkees music, and many of us grew up caring about them, no matter what the snoooty grownups were saying about them. RIP

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 1:21 pm    

Statement from the Thorkelson family:

http://www.petertork.com/

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 2:49 pm    

Another piece of our childhood gone. RIP Peter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcXpKiY2MXE

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 9:28 pm    

I saw Peter, as a soloist open for Muddy Waters in 1966, a year before the Monkees were formed. Among other things, he played flamenco music on a 5 string banjo.

He was VERY good.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 9:24 pm    

Godspeed Peter!

When the world was filled with dark moments, your mirthful antics lightened the load!

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2019 7:13 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvQJ6Dq3v1Q

Great interview and history of the Monkees

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 1:21 pm    

To be clear, after the Monkees 2nd album, the Music Supervisor, Don Kirshner, was dismissed and the Monkees were allowed to oversee their own music. They went into the studio and recorded Headquarters (which included Peter's "For Pete's Sake" which became the closing theme for the 2nd season of the TV show). All guitars, drums and keyboards were done by the four Monkees on the album. Their follow-up album was mostly the same, with some augment of Eddie Hoh on drums.

So "For Pete's Sake" IS Peter on guitar, Mike on keys, Micky on drums and Davy on tambourine.

"Daydream Believer" is Peter Tork on the piano, including the memorable intro part that he himself wrote for the song. Nesmith on guitar on that one.

"Pleasant Valley Sunday" is Peter Tork on the piano, too. Nesmith plays the memorable lead lick on that one.

Peter was always my favorite on the show. I remember watching the show as a toddler and from there my musical journey began...