The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning an Emmons Push-Pull
William Kendrick

Bedford Heights, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 2:10 pm    

My 4th string (E). I tune the F# (C Pedal) 1st at the tuning peg. I tune the E (open) 2nd at the lower rack. I tune the Eb (D lever) 3rd at the upper rack. Then I tune the F (F lever) 4th with the 1/2 tone tuner.

Here is the issue. I can't get the Eb (D lever) "unsharped". The finger does not make contact with the upper allen screw. Unless my tuning sequence is wrong, I am going to have to move a collar to get the finger to make contact with the allen screw. Am I correct? Thanks.
1979 Emmons D-10 P/P 8X5, Lawrence L-710 Pickups, Li'l Izzy, Telonics Volume Pedal, Goodrich Super Sustain Matchbox, Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb Effects Processor, Peavey Vegas 400 Amplifier with BW Speaker.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 2:32 pm    

It sounds like you don't have enough slack on the raise pedals to allow the lower lever to reach pitch. So you would need to move the collar on the C floor pedal 4th string raise to create more slack.

First I would reach under the guitar with one hand and find the 4th string finger. With one hand lowering the string you must use your other hand to tune the changer. It's a bit of a challenge but you'll get the hang of it.

Once the changer is tuned for the lower, then try the lever and see if the string makes it down to pitch. I bet it does not given what you've described. That would confirm that you need more slack in the linkage, so go ahead and re-position the collar on the raise.

When you have confirmed that you have enough slack for the lower to work, then you can work on getting the raise to reach pitch by adding travel to the floor pedal using the adjustment screw on the junction of the foot pedal and the pedal board.

On a push-pull you must tune the lowers first when setting up the raises and lowers.

William Kendrick

Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 2:53 pm    

Thank you, Paul. I tried it and sure enough, I need to provide more slack. I'll keep you posted.
1979 Emmons D-10 P/P 8X5, Lawrence L-710 Pickups, Li'l Izzy, Telonics Volume Pedal, Goodrich Super Sustain Matchbox, Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb Effects Processor, Peavey Vegas 400 Amplifier with BW Speaker.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 10:26 am    

For Paul Sutherland:

"On a push-pull you must tune the lowers first when setting up the raises and lowers."

Paul - I agree with you 100%, but I've always been curious why all PP tuning instructions I've seen, even the 'Tuning a PP stickie' at the top of this "Pedal Steel" section of the Forum, states to tune the raises first.

Your comments really appreciated.

Ron

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 11:09 am    

Ron: It's imperative to be clear at what stage of the tuning process one is at. My comments related to the initial point of setting up the raises and lowers.

You have to do the lowers first because if you do the raises first there is a very good chance you won't leave enough slack and the raise linkage will prevent the lowers from reaching the proper pitch (the finger won't make it to the cap screw).

Once the lowers have been set and properly tuned up, and the collars on the raise rods have been set so that the lowers are not impeded in their travel, then the raises can be tuned so the finger hits the cap screw when properly tuned. This process should include reaching under the guitar to push the finger against the cap screw and tuning as necessary. Then engage the pedal to make sure the finger hits the cap screw just as it also hits the pedal stop at the pedal bar.

When all that has been set, it's not likely that the collars will need to be adjusted again for a very long time. Then the tuning process is fairly straight forward and fine tuning of the raises can go first, if that's what you prefer to do.

Last edited by Paul Sutherland on 20 Feb 2019 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 11:25 am    

Thanks Paul - completely understood.

Regards
Ron

William Kendrick

Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 5:35 pm    

How do I love thee....let me count the ways. Collars, springs, spacers, rods, fingers, flanges, bell cranks. I am in love with my Emmons Push-Pull again with a big thanks to Clem Schmitz who walked me through a place where I have never been...the underneath of my guitar. As he (over the phone) drew a mental picture of my guitar and then had me check each part, we found the problem. The 8th string rod had tension on the spring when there was no tension called for (the changer was at rest). As soon as I loosened the collar, the spring relaxed and the 4th string changer now makes contact with the stop...thus I got my tempered Eb back on the 4th string. A big thanks to Paul and Lynn (who I talked to over the phone) for your help and a really big thanks to Clem. Now I have a greater appreciation for the workings of a pedal steel guitar and a really big appreciation for those who know how to fix them!

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 1:37 pm    

Good thread here.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 2:11 pm    

William Kendrick wrote:
........ I am in love with my Emmons Push-Pull again with a big thanks to Clem Schmitz who walked me through a place where I have never been...the underneath of my guitar.........

Clem Schmitz has got me out of trouble once or twice with my push pull. He has developed a number of innovative parts and ideas for the push pull guitar, and his knowledge of the instrument is second to none. His clip-on bell crank is a stroke of genius.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

William Kendrick

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 7:04 pm    

This is an update. I sent my Emmons P/P to Clem Schmitz and when I got it back it tunes like a dream. All of the tuning parameters are there - whether I use the Buddy Emmons or the Jeff Newman temperment. All the fingers hit their stops. Thank you, Clem. I am in love with my P/P again!