The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mom off to Honolulu next month, any venues she should check?
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 7:42 am    

Hi all,

my Mom, 81, will be off to Oahu from March 6 - 20 with her boyfriend Smile and I'm hoping she'll get to hear some good live music, preferably with steel. They'll be at the Ohana Waikiki east by Outrigger, one block mauka from the Surfrider, but they're going to rent a car and roam around too.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice on this!

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 9:46 am    

I believe Alan Akaka does Friday at Duke's on Waikiki. Bobby Ingano Trio plays Monday night at Dot's in Wahiawa (up by Wheeler Army Airfield I think, so inland a ways). I can't remember the other place Bobby plays weekly, maybe on Tuesdays...but it may be a bit more close at hand than Dots.

Ahh, La Mariana Sailing Club maybe? Not sure if he still plays there, but its a tiki bar and restaurant.

NB, I've not been to the islands but have been relentlessly planning my upcoming first visit/pilgrimage in March...

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 10:55 am    

Thanks very much for this Nic, I'll pass along your ideas. If I was going, believe me I'd go to La Mariana, and load up on mugs and whatever's served in them. Smile

Haven't been since I was a kid and my Mom's sister and family moved to the mainland, removing the free accommodations deal (probably to my uncle's relief), but would love to go again. Some day for sure.

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 10:17 pm    

Aloha Mike,
I have been to LaMariana several time since 1993 so make sure your Mom goes there. And don't be surprised if she sees
ghosts of Humphrey Bogart, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, Dorothy Lamour and others. Typical Southseas movie scene. But the real bonus is Bobby and his steel. I just hope it hasn't changed in the last couple years.[img]
[/img]
[img]

Aloha[/img]

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 12:04 pm    

Aloha Wally, nice to hear from you and thanks for the great pics!

I’ll definitely be directing her to La Mariana as well, which I knew about because of a strange connection: a Hawaiian guy named Gecko who designed tiki mugs (among other things) and sold them to tourists there. He’s an amazing character, hung out with Martin Denny. No idea where he is now. Smile

To Nic and anybody else who’s interested, I did email Alan and he confirmed that he is at Duke’s Friday evenings from 7 to 9:30. Words can’t express how much I wish I was going too, but someday again for sure.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 3:27 pm    

I would attempt to talk mom into a side trip to 550 South Street to pick up a nice Kamaka uke for the souvenir of a lifetime.

That's what I did over thirty years ago, and never have I regretted my decision. Nice people, the Kamakas.

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 10:46 pm     La Mariana

Aloha Mike,
Glad you enjoyed the La Mariana photos. Here are a couple more I can share. I have been going there every year since 1993 until 2015. (Can't travel any longer)[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]

Be sure your Mom gets a La Mariana T shirt.[/img]

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 5:35 am    

Thanks guys for more thoughts. Jack, I'd be so happy for my Mom if she made the investment in a Kamaka, and I'd get her all set up with chord charts and stuff, do some Facetime jamming together maybe! I had a wonderful pair of ukes at one point, both with my brother now - a Big Island Koa Tortoise Rope soprano (yep, both tortoise and rope binding) and an aNueNue Vision 1879, seriously old school:

My brother had twin daughters 10 years ago and I wanted them to have a chance to learn uke. Anyway thanks Wally as well for more pics. What a cool place, but very sorry to hear you're unable to travel. All this is inspiring me to make another visit! Smile

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 4:53 pm    

Mike I think that's wonderful that you mom is 81 years young and sounds as though she really enjoys life, Hope she has safe travels and great time.

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 4:51 am    

Thanks for your kind thoughts Don. She really is young at heart and has a lot of energy, you would never guess her age. She deserves this too, she took care of my stepfather for 16 years after he had a pretty disabling stroke, and they were never able to travel. After he passed away in 2012, she decided it was time to get out and start seeing the world outside Calgary again. In the last year alone, she’s cruised the Mediterranean and visited Mexico with her brother, then off to Oahu next month. I’m very happy for her! 😁

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 3:02 pm    

Nice pictures Wally ! I've never been at that place, just heard about it. Haven't been to Hawaii Nei since Dec 2014 when my son graduated from U 0f H..