The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chord Grips
Terry Miggins

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 3:52 pm    

Can someone explain on 10 string e9pedal steel, chord grip using just the 1st,2nd,and 5th strings.

Thank You-Terry

Daniel Phelps

Versailles, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 6:54 pm    

Hi Terry,
I've not been playing a long time, but I'm certain I know at least part of the answer.

If you put the bar on fret 3, the typical grips (10, 8, 6 or 8, 6, 5 etc) give you a G Major chord, or "the 1", if you like.

This grip you're talking about gives you an D Major chord on fret 3, "the 5" here. It's the same chord as pressing A and B and moving up 2 frets. You can play part of "happy birthday" switching back and forth between grips 3, 4, 5 and 1, 2, 5.

Those strings also give you some "extensions" to the 1 chord (G in our case here). By including string 2 with one of the "regular" grips, you'll get a "Gmaj7" which is kinda cool and jazzy. If you add string 1, you'll get an Gmaj9. If you're feeling froggy you can add both, getting "Gmaj7 add9". This stuff can get weird and turned upside down pretty easily.

I like strings 4, 5, 1 and 2 together, and it might work well in a slow ballad or something. You just have to keep messing with it and trying until you get something that fits your tune.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I just realized we're in "Steel on the Web" which is probably why your post went unanswered for a while.

Daniel

Terry Miggins

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 9:45 am     Chord Grips using strings 1,2,5

Daniel- Thanks for the your explanation. Just to be able to use all 10 strings when I can.
I will work on your suggestions.

Terry

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 6:19 am    

If you play (3rd fret) 1,2 and 6 with the B pedal down, it will give you a D7.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 11:12 am     The 1-2-5 string grip

Lower string 2 to D and your open position B major triad becomes B minor. Everybody's got that change. You can use that change and bar movement to play scales harmonized in thirds on strings 1 and 2 as well.

If your 2nd string lowers to C#, it functions just like the string 6 whole tone drop does on the 8-6-5 grip, and if you have the string 5 half step lower, together they give a 1 to 5 chord change (B major to F# major open position).

If you can raise string one a half step to G, it gives an augmented chord, useful as a passing chord back to the 1 chord on all the basic no pedal grips. The same augmented triad can be found one fret higher by lowering strings 5 and 2 a half step.

There is a lot of music on those top two strings.