The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Those new neo eminence in an old Twin?
Travis Egnor

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 2:05 pm    

Anyone tried these in a twin. I’ve got an old Blackface twin and those blue label 12s are about shot. Sure would be nice to eliminate some weight while I’m at it. I don’t wanna sacrifice sound though. Also, I play 6 string through this amp too, so that’s something to consider. Last is that, I certainly don’t wanna make the durn thing any louder, so a super high sensitivity rating isn’t needed or wanted.

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 8:30 pm    

I have had my Eminence-built 12” speakers for sale for a while and have sold a bunch. One buyer told me that these Eminence baskets don’t fit in a Twin Reverb. Very slightly too large in diameter. You might consider double checking before buy. TC

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 8:13 am    

Travis, I have a pair of Emimenence Travis Toy 12" in my Daul Showan reverb. I have the head in a Fender twin cab and the amps are very simaler. I love it and they weigh in at just about 7 lbs each.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 11:04 am    

I have a 1973 silverface Twin Reverb. I ran into the same situation as T.C., but with another brand of speaker. One speaker fit fine, but there wasn't clearance for the other between the outside of the speaker and the inside of the amp's cabinet. The speaker hole patterns matched. However, the outside diameters of these speaker baskets are slightly larger than my original Twin Reverb's speakers. Apparently Twin Reverb cabinets were not all built to the same size specifications, or the mounting studs were not placed in the same positions from cabinet to cabinet. They are close, but not always exact. I haven't a problem mounting any 12" speaker on the right side of my Twin as I face the cabinet from the back. There is plenty of room there. The issue is on the power tube side.

I currently have a pair of JBL K120s in the Twin. The speaker on the power tube side fits, but touches the inside of the cabinet. I have an Eminence EPS-12C that I could try, but it's a 4 Ohm speaker and the Twin takes 8 Ohm speakers, so I never thought about installing it.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 1:54 pm    

Quote:
I currently have a pair of JBL K120s in the Twin. The speaker on the power tube side fits, but touches the inside of the cabinet.

I have K-120s in my Twin, and, to my knowledge, there are no issues.