The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Integrated pack seat and rack?
Duane Reese

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 10:17 am    

Has anyone ever designed, built or seen a pack seat that had a little rack off to the side, like where the volume pedal compartment usually goes? I imagine that if you had your power amp in there, it would probably go all the way down to the floor...but has it been done?

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 10:25 am    

Yes, I built one about 15 years ago and am still using it. It has a 3 space rack on the bottom and a vertical one rack space. The top compartments and seat are similar to the typical pac-a-seat. Casters replace the legs.

It works great and was just thinking about building a new an improved version.

Robert

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 11:54 am    

That's awesome. Post a pic sometime if you don't mind.

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 5:48 am    

I’ve put a lot of thought into this too and even started making one a few years back. Once the kids grow up and I have some more time on my hands I plan on making something compact with a small class d amp compact components. Personally, I think this setup makes total sense - why have your controls anywhere else?

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 2:07 pm    

Quote:
Personally, I think this setup makes total sense - why have your controls anywhere else?

I play through a Twin Reverb, and I've been pondering having the amp controls near enough to tweak while playing for a while now. I'm having the cabs split, so I'll be able to put the head right by my side. My Steelers Choice Seat has a power strip attached to the under side of it. The only effect I use is a Matchbox that attaches to the leg of my steel. So, I think that will be a pretty good set up - we'll see.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 5:05 pm    

My work in progress. I'm still making updates but basic idea add a 12" or 15" Neo cabinet for a light weight with 200 watts of power.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 10:27 am    

Sure, I'll get a photo for you, but it may be a day or two.

Robert

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2019 7:39 am    

I build effects boxes on legs and have sold several.

I worked with Stereo Steel a few years ago but it would have been a redesign from what steelseats has now.

I dropped the project because I simply got too busy building my seats. The racks are simply larger than anything I have done.

Joe Naylor
steelseats
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP