The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI Student model tuning knee lever question
Eric Davidson

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2019 6:16 pm    

I just got a GFI student model, and as I was trying to practice some scales and chords, I noticed that the knee levers didn’t quite hit the mark. I was able to get the L knee levers corrected according to the instructions, but when I came to the RKR lever, it was very difficult to turn the nylon nuts so I backed off. When I turned it upside down, it looks like the nuts for the 2 and 9 string were bottomed out because they were so much further in than the others. My inclination was that I should back them out, to get some more headroom, retune and start over but wanted another opinion.

The guy I bought it from said they had purchased it for their gospel group’s guitar player to learn, but the guy left the group soon after and it just sat in its case. He’d also said the guitar player was trying to tune it using the nylon nuts instead of the tuning keys which likely accounts for this issue. My other question is should I back out all of the nuts up to a starting point to start fresh in case all of the nuts were cranked on? Being relatively inexperienced, I don’t want to do anything to potentially get everything out of sync, but I’m relatively capable and willing if it’s necessary. Thanks!

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2019 6:31 am    

Here is a link to the tuning instructions for your guitar. You should be able to get it working by following the directions.

http://www.gfimusicalproducts.com/documentation.html#SMsheet

Eric Davidson

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2019 7:09 am    

Thanks! But I had actually gotten to step 5 on that document when I noticed that the nylon nuts on string 2 and 9 were unable to be tightened any further, seemingly they had bottomed out. So I’m wondering if I can back them off and then retune to compensate?

Last edited by Eric Davidson on 27 Feb 2019 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2019 9:59 am    

Eric, you want to lower both 2 and 9; if they won't lower far enough, they need more space, get it by loosening the tuning nuts. Back them off a few turns, retune the open string notes, then try to tune the lowers. If they still won't lower far enough, back off some more, retune the open note and try again. It will work best if there is some extra space, so back them off more than just the minimum amount needed to get the lower. Make sure to retune the open note at the keyhead each time before tuning the lowers.

Eric Davidson

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2019 3:04 pm    

Ok, great and it worked! However I must admit I was doing things completely backward and tuning the RKR with the nylon nuts instead of the lowered pitch with tuning keys and open pitch with nylon nuts. Doh! When all else fails read the instructions. Thanks for your help!!