The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons The Waltz You Saved For Me
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 1:56 pm    

When Buddy Emmons played the Waltz You saved For Me with the Texas Troubadours, did he really do it in Eb, or was that something going on with the recording speed? Sounds right in Eb to me. I'm trying to learn it is why I ask.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 10:29 am    

Not trying to be a wise guy, but who cares? The fact is you should learn to play it in any key. Doing that, you'll become a master of the instrument, and not just the master of one song. Of course, there are a few songs that require open strings (for hammer-ons, pull-offs, and open/moving harmonies), but those are rare, and even most of those can be played in any key once you have built the right set of skills.

Learning to play a certain song in only one key is like learning to drive from one place to another using only one route. And sooner of later, for some reason, you'll have the need to find an alternate route. It's that way with music, too. Be versatile...and flexible, and you'll be a far better player! Winking

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 11:23 am    

You're right Donny, of course. Right now I'm just trying to ear it out. I kind of like the idea of it being in Eb - so few guitar songs are (I really find it easier to play steel guitar in Eb than E, way unlike 6 string).

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 7:37 pm    

Not that it matters a whole lot, but I believe that was Buddy Charleton playing "The Waltz You Saved For Me" on "Ernest Tubb Presents The Texas Troubadours". In Eb.

24 July 1963 [19:00-23:00] Columbia Recording Studio, 804 16th Ave. South, Nashville, TN – Texas Troubadours (Cal Smith [vcl-1], Leon Rhodes [vcl-2/gt], Jack Drake [bass], Harold Bradley [gt], Buddy Charleton [steel], Jack Greene [vcl-4/drums], Floyd Cramer [piano]. Producer: Owen Bradley)

027 113887/NA 12601 THE WALTZ YOU SAVED FOR ME - instr.- DL 74459 BCD 15954

Just to add to the confusion, Emmons did play it, with David Peterson, in C, and as a solo piece on Prairie Home Companion, in F, crediting Bud Isaacs for the inspiration. I believe Mr. Isaacs also did it in F.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 7:33 am    

You are correct Peter. It was Buddy Charleton, not Buddy Emmons on the Troubadour album. But I was also thinking that Charleton played it in E.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 8:11 am    

PM sent

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 8:12 am    

It seems like piano players like flats and guitar players like sharps. Very Happy
Erv

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 9:56 am    

You know, I originally thought it was Charleton, but it sounded a little more like Emmons to me - Thanks for clearing it up.

Bill, I've watched you and John Hughey play it a bunch of times - you guys played it in F didn't you? - it was great by the way!

None of it really matters, as all of you have pointed out correctly. I just have kind of a history of being anal about learning the versions of things I want to learn, in the keys they were played in, and with same licks and inflections etc, then moving them around when I have them fully digested - this habit has annoyed plenty of people in the past haha! I've heard more than once that "we don't have to do it just like the record" - but, have also heard, "I never heard anyone play it so true to the original"... double headed axe.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 9:58 am    

Erv, you are so right. My mom was a really gifted piano player, but she only played (by ear - I guess that's where I got it from) in Eb, and Ab haha! We didn't play together too much after I took up guitar.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 10:00 am    

Bobby,
I tab out a lot of hymns and gospel songs and almost all of them are written in flats.
I suppose for the the piano player at church. Very Happy
Erv

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 11:19 am    

I'm not sure of piano and strings, but a lot of horns like to be played in the flat keys. As I remember from my school band days, tenor sax is tuned to Bb, and alto to Eb. A whole lot of old standards are in, what guitar players would call, odd keys. I played with Bobby Keys one time, and we were working a show out for Lester Chambers, and I was showing them a song in E. Not really knowing who he was, I looked at him and said, "is that OK, or we could change keys if we have to". He looked at me with this sly kind of smile, and said "don't worry, I've played in a few guitar bands before". The rest of them kind of snickered haha.

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 11:38 am    

Interestingly, Bud Isaacs beautiful version seems to be in Eb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuA-70wawFU

Ray Montee's version of Bud Isaacs' arrangement is in F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM-3UlTmjOU

The same Buddy Charleton recording (in Eb) appears on "Ernest Tubb Presents The Texas Troubadours" and "Almost To Tulsa" album.

I guess to be safe one should learn it in all keys!

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 1:08 pm    

I was privileged to have a lesson with Buddy Charleton about a year or so before he passed on. The lesson included the song, "The Waltz You Saved For Me". He taught the tune in his lesson room at Billy Coopers place on a black GFI D-10. The key was E at that time. I sure miss him.

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2019 1:08 pm    

I was privileged to have a lesson with Buddy Charleton about a year or so before he passed on. The lesson included the song, "The Waltz You Saved For Me". He taught the tune in his lesson room at Billy Coopers place on a black GFI D-10. The key was E at that time. I sure miss him.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 8:49 am    

Here's me playing it in "F"..ha..(regular melody at first of the song; then after Fiddle and Guitar melody; I play a "from another planet" fancy melody at end(at 2:17)....yeeehaaa.
https://youtu.be/SygguzXpZwA
Ricky

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 9:53 am    

Those are great fellas! Certainly gives me a wider pallet of approaches to steal from haha! I wonder what tuning Bud Issacs was using? It's the floweriest chord usage of em.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 6:27 am    

hey Ricky, If you can bottle some of that guitars tone I will buy some! joe

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 6:47 am    

The song was originally written in the key of Eb and that's the key I have it tabbed out in. Very Happy
Erv