The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Twin Reverb modified from 2x12 to 1x15. Anyone?
Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 1:00 pm    

I have a 65 reissue Twin and am thinking about building a replacement baffle with a single 15” neo speaker. This should bring the weight down substantially, and from past experiance, I liked the sound of a single 15” (my old amp was a Traynor (?) head with a seperate cab containing a 15” JBL). I would of course keep the original 2x12 baffle in tact,

Anybody on the forum have any thoughts/experience with this for pairing with E9 pedal steel?

Cheers,
Mark Smile

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 3:20 pm    

I did this on my '79 SF Twin. Unfortunately, the baffle was routed in, so I opted for a Rick Johnson cab rather than saw up the existing cab. I'm using a Sica 15" in the cab, and have the options of JBL K130, JBL E130, BW 1501-4, TT 12 and dual TC Furlong speakers in extension cabs. If I just use the combo, it sounds great with the Sica, and I'm glad I did it! 😃 Would have been a lot cheaper if, like you, mine had a removable baffle!
When you make the baffle, offset the speaker so it clears the transformer...

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 3:37 pm    

I performed this mod on a '65 Reissue a few years back and unless the design has changed, the baffle is secured by screws and the baffle and speakers can be removed as one unit. A 15" replacement can most likely be obtained from 'Mojotone' or possibly Forum member Rick Johnson.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 4:15 pm    

Yes, did that years ago, ran a single JBL 15 in a 1970 twin for about 20 years, no issues.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 4:58 pm    

Did this decades ago to my B/F TR. The only issue is whether or not you use a 4-ohm speaker, as that is what the TR amp is designed for. An 8-ohm speaker will work, but you'll lose some power. So if you're running the TR near full output, it's best to match the impedance. In my case back then, there were no suitable 15" 4-ohm speakers. But I needed all the power I could get, so I swapped out the 8-ohm output transformer for a 4-ohm one from a Showman amp.

And yes, you need to use a Neo speaker for any substantial weight savings.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 5:18 pm    

You likely know this, but the speaker needs to be offset, (not centered) like the Vibrasonic/vibrosonic. It will distribute the weight evenly, and clear the transformer.

I think Mojo makes a replacement baffle with grillcloth thats very reasonable.

It’s been done by a lot of us. And Donny is right, as usual, Mine with a stock JBL still weighs a ton. It sounds great.

Oops...I see Dave mentioned the offset issue.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 11:00 pm    

Thanks for the responses to my inquiry. I decided to go with the Eminance Patriot EPS-15C (4 Ohm /300W) and hopefully that will be a good choice. It will certainly make the amp more “lugable” if not quite yet “portable”. Thanks too for reiterating the tip regarding transformer interference and off center speaker placement. Good point!
Mark Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 12:10 pm    

I decided to have Rick Johnson split the cabs for me. This will not only give a relief in the weight department, but in the future, I'm going to have him build me a 1x15 cab (probably load it w/an EPS-15C), and I will have the option of 2x12 or 1x15. A little costly, but worth it for my $$. Another benefit I've heard from a number of sources, (I haven't received my cabs yet) is that the Birch ply baffle sounds much better than the paste board original.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 12:18 pm    

i have a twin with a 15". it is still very heavy. i gave up and bought a milkman.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 1:00 pm    

I converted my Twin to a 1 x 15 with an Altec 418b. No too difficult. Took a little finagling to get the hole positioned so the transformer sits in between the speaker spokes.

After I did all the work, I found out that Mojo can make a Twin baffle complete with the grille cloth of your choice for right about $100 shipped. I would definitely recommend giving them a call.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 5:10 pm    

Thanks Tim. Yes, I can see where the output xformer poses an obstruction to center placement of the speaker. Aside from that, there may be some remaining jiggle room for optimal positioning for the speaker. I’m thinking mostly center of gravity concerns.

I have e-mailed to Mojotone, and it sounds like they can do it for, as you said, around $100 shipped. What I don’t yet have from them is if they can provide any prior wisdom as to the optimal positioning of the speaker (aside from interference issues). I can certainly engineer this and give them what I think is best placement, however as this has been done by many before me, there must be some knowledge as to the premium placement.

Perhaps one of you who has done this mod has some thoughts. Transformer Interference is an issue that obviously has to be dealt with as the first priority, but what about beyond that?

Cheers, Mark. Shocked Whoa! Very Happy