The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thumb joint types and pick choice
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2019 9:32 am    

I have always wondered if the shape of your thumb affects the way you strike a string, and how much it influences the type of thumb pick you choose or works best. I have a straight thumb, like the one on the left. I use Fred Kelly Slick picks, which seem to accommodate the angle of the pick strike better than most other picks I’ve tried.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2019 2:30 pm    

I definitely think that thumb geometry makes a big impact on the way you strike a string, and choice of thumb pick.

My thumb is pretty much halfway between the two in your picture--not straight, but not bent as much as the thumb on the right. I go back and forth between the Fred Kelly Speed Picks and the Zookies M10. They both work great for me. The Zookies come with angled tips, and the 10 degree is what it takes on my thumb to get the blade parallel to the string.

Oddly enough, on banjo or guitar, a regular old National Medium is my choice. I think that when playing a vertical instrument, my hand position is just different.

Dave

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2019 7:49 pm    

Echoing your comment, Dave, I believe the shape of one’s thumb and the angle of pick attack has everything to do with the tone produced, and contributes greatly to the choice. Unlike you though, I use the same pick for guitar and steel. I doubt if anyone with a bent thumb would ever use a Zookie.

The topic of preferred thumbpicks comes up about once a month here on the forum, and the discussions usually don’t get much deeper than matters of opinion on which one produces “the best tone”. Why that particular pick makes the best sound for you and maybe not someone else intrigues me, and the anatomy of one’s thumb seems like an obvious place to start looking for reasons.

I am also certain that the way we choose fingerpicks and how we shape them has more to do with whether one has long skinny fingers or short tree stumps than deciding to use Brand X because Fabulous Player Y uses them.

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 4:38 pm    

The "best" thumb pick may be the one that gives you even wear (and contact) across the face of the pick. My thumb is straight like the left one in Fred's picture. But, it won't move back more than about 45 degrees from the fingers. So the Zookie 30 is a blessing. For other folks, it might be a nearly unplayable choice.

Jack Turlington

Toccoa, GA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 8:48 pm     All Thumbs

This is great! I always figured I was the only guy that wondered about thumb shapes. My thumb is definately more angled. Always thought it helped my pick hit the strings at a more parallel-to-the-strings angle on banjo, then steel and dobro too. I have mostly used regular old picks, but have some Zookies too. It doesn’t seem to matter much which I use, just takes a few seconds to adjust, then I never think about it again.
I just can’t leave the pick way out near the end of my thumb like some guys. I gotta pull it on up closer to my 1st joint for it to feel like it’s not gonna fly off. I guess it’s all what you get used to.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 9:33 am    

I have a straight thumb, like the picture on the left. I've tried to play like Paul Franklin and block strings with the fleshy part of the thumb behind the pick. It doesn't work for me. I can't get that part of my thumb to make contact with the strings unless I totally contort my hand.

I wonder if one's thumb shape can be a limiting factor for adopting the PF style of blocking. I believe PF's thumb shape is somewhat more like the picture on the right.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 11:16 am    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
I have a straight thumb, like the picture on the left. I've tried to play like Paul Franklin and block strings with the fleshy part of the thumb behind the pick. It doesn't work for me. I can't get that part of my thumb to make contact with the strings unless I totally contort my hand.

I wonder if one's thumb shape can be a limiting factor for adopting the PF style of blocking. I believe PF's thumb shape is somewhat more like the picture on the right.

Excellent observation. Watching master pick-blocker Joe Wright’s instructional videos on the Sierra website, you can clearly see his thumb has about a 45 degree angled distal joint. That has to contribute somewhat to both his picking and blocking style, as well as the tone from the thumb pick.

We’re having a wild weather day here in the foothills, eh Paul? Stay safe.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 1:55 am    

I'm thinking of having surgery to make my thumb look more like the photo on the right,Then I would be able to use those blue thumb picks that everyone loves,I've tried putting my thumb with the blue pick into a pot of boiling water,Didn't hurt much also put my thumb in a vise and smashed it with a metal hammer,hurt a bit more,So I'm gonna try some surgery,it has to hurt less then hopefully I can fall in love with those blue thumb picks.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 8:49 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
I'm thinking of having surgery to make my thumb look more like the photo on the right,Then I would be able to use those blue thumb picks that everyone loves,.

Radial arm saw would do the trick. You would have to make two cuts with angles reversed, but the second one wouldn’t hurt because it would be on the part of your thumb that’s already cut off. Then just crazy glue it back on. From what we’ve heard, the blue hercos are worth it...

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 7:36 am    

Fred,The radial arm saw sounds like the ticket except my P.O. won't allow me near power tools?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 9:34 am    

I have a real nice Mikita. Just send me your hand and I’ll do the work for free. Money back guarantee, no questions answered.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 5:16 am    

Fred,Maybe I'll put it on ice and send it?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 8:13 pm    

Just email it.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 3:42 am    

Fred,Yep!!