The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Blue Jade re-take
Mike Ihde

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2019 10:09 am    

As hard to believe as it may be, Buddy does make a mistake now and then. I know that's a rediculous thing to say and of all the times I've heard him play live at Scotty's or other live things on line or the time we played together in concert, I've heard ONE wrong note. But anyway, he wasn't happy with one take of Blue Jade so he did another and all of a sudden I hear this new verse I've never heard before. Completely made up on the spot and you can tell by the look on his face, he's telling himself, "Oh crap! where do I go now?" Well, as you can hear, it sounds like it always belonged there. Just amazing talent.

check it out

www.vimeo.com/316601051

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 2:05 am    

Well , Buddy and others have made many ERRORS while playing, thats not a bad thing, I've seen him and heard him go afoul a few times Laughing The thing about it is when those guys make a mistake or go off, nobody really knows because they turn it into something marvelous, like it was planned .

A good friend once told me when we were at a Buddy show and Buddy kinda went to a "new place"., "See, he is human" ! Very Happy

By the way Mike, I'm still enjoying The 335 Book ! Very Happy Its a great resource.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 2:36 am    

Smile

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 12:13 pm     Re: Buddy Blue Jade re-take

Mike Ihde wrote:
As hard to believe as it may be, Buddy does make a mistake now and then. I know that's a rediculous thing to say and of all the times I've heard him play live at Scotty's or other live things on line or the time we played together in concert, I've heard ONE wrong note. But anyway, he wasn't happy with one take of Blue Jade so he did another and all of a sudden I hear this new verse I've never heard before. Completely made up on the spot and you can tell by the look on his face, he's telling himself, "Oh crap! where do I go now?" Well, as you can hear, it sounds like it always belonged there. Just amazing talent.

check it out

www.vimeo.com/316601051

In the early 1980's we'd see him make a mistake at Jeff's Newman's school with free for all in the afternoon and he'd just grin more.. really always remembered it because when playing he enjoyed it SO much... best ever.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 2:54 pm    

the lick he added at 1:11 is a great addition. I've been trying to throw that in when I play it.

boy he's fun to watch... thanks again Mike!