The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Want to add 2 knees to a Sho-bud S-10 rack and barrel Pro 1
Ron Spears

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 2:51 am    

Are the parts available for rack and barrel changer knee levers. Does as anyone have any used ones. I've browsed PSG parts and haven't seen any rack hardware there. Help.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 5:30 am    

Ron , I don’t know where you’re located in Tennessee, but I’d contact Jeff Surratt at Show Pro. He’s in Mount Juliet. He can do whatever you need.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Ron Spears

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 6:11 am     The work

I can do the work. I just need to know what parts I need to purchase or if anyone has some used ones.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 6:48 am    

Personally, I would add the 2 levers using more modern , better designed parts such as repro Sho bud style 2 hole pullers, or even Super pro style repro parts, as long as they aren't pot metal..... Less weight, and better performance.. I have seen hundreds of Buds over the years including some right from the factory with "mixed' parts.. It won't devalue the guitar a penny... Talk to the guys at Show Pro...... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 8:22 am    

Michael Yahl at psgparts.com had some beautiful rack and barrel reproduction parts at the Dallas steel guitar show last year

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 11:59 am    

Ron Spears wrote:
...I've browsed PSG parts and haven't seen any rack hardware there. Help.

FWIW, the spacing of the swivels on the two-hole pullers is the same as the raise/lower hole spacing on the racks, you can put them right in line with the racks. Racks are clunky and heavy and there is no advantage to them other than "authenticity". If you're adding them 40+ years later they're not actually authentic anyway. The two-hole puller setup works better/smoother, and Michael has all the parts you'll need to add the levers (unless he's out of stock on something).

Garry Moore

USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2019 4:23 pm    

Just email Michael Yahl at PSGparts and tell him what you want. He'll recommend you the right parts. I had him build 3 racks for my 6139 and they are better than the original ones I had on there. Fast turnaround too. Good luck.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2019 9:24 pm    

Ditto on the PGS parts recommendation!

A couple of years ago, I purchaced all the parts from Micheal to convert my ‘73 Pro~I from a 3x2 to a 3x4. Great quallity stuff, and I’m very pleased with with the material I received, and dealing with Michael is a pleasure.

Now, my guitar is a two-hole & barrel pull system and NOT a rack and Barrel like yours. I can’t see any issue though mixing in 2-hole bellcranks with the rack system, but best talk to Michael about that.

Anyway, that’s my two cents. At the end of the day, it was not a trivial job (or expense), but in retrospect I am so happy I did it. Wish I had 20 years Ago!

Mark Very Happy