The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  AMPS-Confused!
Dennis Whitley

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 4:15 pm    

Hi guys, new to the Steel, but not new to the industry. I have played professionally for over 45 years as a Bass Player in Country. Even played the ET Record shop back in the day! Some of you may even recognize my name.

I recently bought a Red Barron single neck, and am playing through one of my bass amps, just to get the hang of it. Yuck, no reverb Sad

So now, what amp to buy? I am currently hung between the Session and Nashville 400 or 500. Both seem reasonably priced on Ebay and Guitar Center. I am only playing at home, but I like to use good equipment.

If any of you have a good used Session or Nashville, 400 /500, please let me know, and I'll send you the funds and get the ball rolling

I can be reached at dhwhitley@tampabay.rr.com

Thanks

Dennis H. Whitley

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 5:42 pm    

Have you thought about using a reverb pedal with one of your bass amps? You can find used one pretty reasonably priced.

Thomas Ruikkie

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 5:47 pm     Amp

Dennis

You cant go wrong with a Nashville 400 or sessions 500. Lots of power and sound clarity....PS....also in Tampabay and new to steel from 6 string..

Tom R

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 7:06 pm    

I agree with Thomas and Roger. The Peaveys are great amps but a good bass amp with a Wet Reverb can be supper for PSG.

Good Luck
Barry

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 8:23 pm    

Dennis, I live in Jax., Fl. and have a Session 400 in good shape, and a vegas 400, which is a dual channel, good for steel and guitar, fiddle, etc.
I'll sell the Session for $225, and the Vegas for $250.
Would possibly meet you halfway, depending on where you live. My number is 904 993 4422 Lonnie Portwood.

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 8:54 pm    

Dennis, I'm in a Tampa suburb and have a Nashville 400.
Have sent you an e mail with my phone number.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 7:16 am     Peavey

Johnny Bondz in Wildwood can assist you with a steel guitar amplifier. For your application, I believe that the Peavey Nashville 112 would be best for you. Check it out here;
https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/1073/104983/

One of the reasons that I recommend the 112 is because you can plug in your CD/Audio player that will then mute the internal speaker and rehearse quietly hearing only your playing and the program tracks, ie; no bothering your wife.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 9:03 am     Buy forum

A reverb added to your bass amp will work..If you decide to buy, buy on forum not on Ebay..best deals are on here and I am not tooting a horn!!!
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Robert Leaman

Murphy, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 11:39 am     Bass Amp?

I used a Peavey Mace for years. It produced an excellent sound through two 12 inch Peaveys. A Peavey Mace was designed as a bass amp but everyone that worked with liked it for steel. I suppose that a Mace may be difficult to find these days but maybe one might find one for sale.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 12:56 pm    

I recently bought a little Line 6 Vyper III, and for the money, it's a pretty neat practice amp. Small 8-inch speaker, but a decent sound for a tiny amp, and a lot of built-in EFX (chorus, sweep, flange, distortion, tremolo, reverb, delay-echo w/tap switch) all make it fine for practice work. And...it has MP3 in and headphone out jacks!

No, it's not made for steel, and it's not a pro or gigging amp, by any means. But as a "knock-around toy", it certainly fills the bill for me. The best part is you can buy these things all day long for $40.
Mr. Green

Alan Cannell

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 1:20 pm    

I played Guitar & Steel through a Mace many years back but didn’t know it was designed fas a Bass Amp. It was as heavy as hell and kinda OK for Guitar but when I changed if for a Session 500 I realised it was not the best for Steel.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 2:55 pm     Line 6

The Line 6 modeling amps are called "Spider" aren't they?