The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lehle Mono 90 Volume Pedal Review
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 5:32 am    

I just got this pedal a few days ago and it's a nice offering from Lehle. My review includes lots of pictures, sound files, a complete song and some useful links as well as my personal opinion of this product.

Click here to read the review!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 8:01 am    

I'm hearing good things about the Lehle. BUT - its critical flaw for pedal steelers is that the input impedance is really high, like 2Meg Ohms. That's 4 times higher than the 500kOhms that our pickups are designed to see. The result of this super high impedance is a painfully bright and unpleasantly crisp, harsh pickup tone.

Fortunately, the fix or "hack" is simple. If you build yourself a cord that goes from pickup to Lehle and at one plug end put a tiny 500k (or so) resistor there from hot to ground, that will load your pickup down to "normal" and will give you a proper tonal response from the pickup. OR if you have a buffer in front of the Lehle that has a proper load impedance, or adjustable load impedance, then that issue can be addressed before the Lehle. But just going straight into the Lehle is a no go, tonally speaking.

B

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 9:17 am    

To my ears the Lehle, Hilton and Telonics all have the same tonality. They are really high impedance inputs compared to the pickup's internal impedance. I have extensively used the Hilton and Telonics and the Goodrich LDR pedals. While I understand on paper they do have different input impedances, they all sound about the same same as the Lehle. The Lehle is absolutely no more more harsh than any of the other pedals in actual use! I do use a reverb stomp box between the volume pedal and amp. That does affect the sound a lot and it restores some of the sound I like.

Other than that, yes I like the pot pedal sound a bit more than the buffered pedal sound. Our pickups were designed to work with a variable 500K pot in the circuit between the amp and the guitar and no active components in the volume pedal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 3:57 pm    

Thanks for the review Greg, and the comments Brad.
How is the Excel working out for you?
John

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 4:29 pm    

John, the Excel is still impressing me every time I play it!.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 6:54 pm    

Greg, excellent review and photos. I still have and use the Goodrich pedals and I'm happy with them. Never know when I may make the switch.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 5:20 pm     Lehle 90 Volume pedal review6

Greg, thanks for taking all the time to do this review. Very well done.I love my Lehle 90, but I did have an issue with the highs with my Evans amp and George L cords. The highs are not a problem with my Stereo Steel, Katana,or a friend's Nashville 112. You just back off the treble on the amps. After consulting with Brad, I decided to go the Black Box route, which solved the problem with the Evans,and also helps out my Stereo Steel and Katana. Also, after 20 years, I moved my George L cords to back-up and made up some really heavy duty Pro-Co cords with soldered Switchcraft plugs which, I am extremely happy with.