The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How do you record?
Matthew Begay

Quantico, VA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 3:32 pm    

Hi there guys, it’s been a while. I recently enlisted in the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman and I’ll probably be at my next duty station for a while so I’ll finally have time to play steel again. I have some friends from back home in Albuquerque who want me on some recordings. I’ve played gigs both large and small over the last 3 years so I’m still a baby lol. I’ll get my instruments sent to me as soon as I get there.

My question for y’all is how do you record?
What do I need in order to record?
What am I looking for and how much would it cost?

Thank you!

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 3:57 pm    

You will need a computer, recording software (I.e. ProTools) an audio interface (I.e. Focusrite Scarlett) and possibly some plugins software (Amp Forge, reverbs, etc) if you're not going to mic and amp, but instead go direct. It's a whole new world......study up and read. Make sure you have the right PC speed and memory for the software.

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 4:32 pm    

Matthew, I'm just a hobbiest, but I like the small tascam portastudio digital recorders. I got the 4 track new for $100. The preamps are really quiet. There's definately a learning curve when it comes to mixing down into stereo, and then interfacing with a computer, but still worth it. Also the free Audacity software is a must have. Really capable, and a great thing to have. Good online manual and youtube videos to help you. I would start there.

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 11:42 pm    

Focusrite scarlett is a good interface. A laptop or desktop PC is good value and for software Reaper is unbeatable. Reaper has a truly excellent forum where people help each other out a lot. also a lot of videos to learn it. There are loads of free plug-ins and also excellent ones come with Reaper. it costs $60 but can do more than pro tools in many ways

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 12:20 am    

Stephen Williams wrote:
for software Reaper is unbeatable. Reaper has a truly excellent forum where people help each other out a lot. also a lot of videos to learn it. There are loads of free plug-ins and also excellent ones come with Reaper. it costs $60 but can do more than pro tools in many ways

Silly, like what ? What ways ? What can Reaper do functionally that Pro Tools can't do ? I'm not talking cost here.

With all due respect, Reaper, as good as it for the $60 cost, cannot BEAT or do more than Pro Tools in many ways. Reaper is BEATABLE but not in the $60 cost window. Please don't go down that road. Its misleading.

A 4 track cassette platform is NOT what you want for this purpose, it's the wrong tool. Can it be done ? Sure, you can also frame a house with a ball end hammer, it just may take a while.

Regarding recording and trading tracks, you need a good internet connection, a strong email account that can receive and deliver large files, a software package or recorder you are comfortable with , with the ability to drop a clients file, wav or MP3 into your recording platform and the ability to send back your recorded file DRY in a format your client can use.

An MP3 file at 320 will more than likely suffice as the file size of a wav will be HUGE and require a Drop BOX account. Being able to communicate and send tracks by EMAIL is a huge PLUS.

You want your client (friend) to send you an MP3 two track. LO file size is all thats needed. You only need to return your ONE track with Steel. I recommend a DAW, yes even Reaper, which requires a nice PC, monitor and an interface. Seeing what you are doing on a monitor is a HUGE advantage over a small workstation. You will also require a good PC or MAC foundation, with the ability to grab drivers when needed. If you go with WINDOWS, keep auto updates OFF.

The software or workstation is not the prime factor,there are many things to consider. Tascam and Boss products may require a file conversion from their own file structure . Zoom products by comparison already record in WAV format.

Converting your final file to MP3 is another issue . Many will say you have to return a WAV file, hogwash, if it's not a retail recording, an MP3 at 320 will be more than ample. Keep it clean with ample gain and all will be well. An external file conversion may be required if it doesn't exist in the DAW or Workstation.

320 MP3's are becoming the EMAIL file standard these days for NON retail recordings.

By the way, Reaper does not come with an MP3 file conversion, you will be required to grab the LAME MP3 Codec download to be able to convert tracks to MP3 / 320 inside of Reaper. This is NOT uncommon. Many DAW's don't have this feature due to licensing. Oh yeah, Pro Tools does contain MP3 conversions along with file tagging. No 3rd party or additional outside of PT's software required. MP3 conversion is a necessary step for what you want to do.

The process for tracking over the NET is way more involved than just plugging in our Steels and playing, thats the easy part, the real easy part. The process has to be easy and if we have the proper gear and configurations, it is. IF we don't, then it's not.

I'm just one of many who do this often for clients all over the place, USA, Mexico, Europe and yes, even clients across town from me. It took a good deal of time to work thru the nuances of the process and make it efficient. I have probably done 200 to 300 remote tracks over the last many years, I can tell you this, if the total process is smooth it's fast and fun, if it's NOT, it's not fast and it's not fun ! Duhhh !

I would close by saying if you can muster the $$$ , these days Studio One is probably the premium DAW package cost wise, value wise, for home tracking. It's not cheap but it is reasonable.

When choosing a DAW its really not about today, it's about tomorrow. We may only use 50% of the feature set on a day to day basis, but the fact of the matter is the power is still there when you need it, and trust me ,one day you will need it.

What you are wanting to do is an easy process as long as you have all of the right components ( big picture) in front of you. Build a studio with the best you can acquire given your financial constraints. You may not thank me this year or even next year. But one day you will ! Very Happy

Good luck ! Have fun .

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 7 Feb 2019 5:19 am; edited 2 times in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 3:16 am    

Many think Sonar is not a major DAW, but it is. It can do almost anything others can do and sometimes more. And its FREE. I wouldn't discount Sonar. I've used it ever since I went to computer based recording. I've tried ProTools (bought a how to book and video instruction), Studio One and several others.

You have to first download the BandLab "Assistant" and then you can download and install Sonar.
https://www.bandlab.com/products/desktop/assistant

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 4:22 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Many think Sonar is not a major DAW, but it is. It can do almost anything others can do and sometimes more. And its FREE. I wouldn't discount Sonar. I've used it ever since I went to computer based recording.

Agree, Sonar is a great package, I still have 7 and 8 around here somewhere ! As good as any for certain. Free makes it even better !

Regarding Matthews initial question, there are many facets to what he wants to do, the actual recording is only one part of the process . The BIG PICTURE matters .

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 7:13 am    

Don't worry about the DAW conversation at this point- whichever one you choose will take time and research to get comfortable with. At this point for you, they're all fine for tracking on a friend's album, and the DAW you choose will tell you its computer system requirements.
There are tons of interface options-everyone has a fovorite- look at the reviews and features on the big sites- Amazon/Sweetwater/etc.
Wetransfer.com is a free and easy way to send files back and forth- all I've used for years. Send your friends a few different takes
I'd recommend an sm57 mic for the price point/resale value, and a decent pair of headphones.
All this takes time- Google your questions- tons of free resources to walk you through the path. Best path is finding a friend who knows to help- good luck!

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 8:19 am    

I found this website very helpful: https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/

I ended up going with Studio One and a pretty basic interface and have been happy with that setup so far.

Pretty amazing times we're living in, with a pretty basic computer and not a lot of money in gear you can get some pretty good results.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 8:20 am    

double post

Last edited by Joseph Carlson on 7 Feb 2019 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 8:24 am    

Aside form the arguments about which DAW is better, I'll make an attempt to get back to Matthew's original post and his needs.

One comment: This topic probably belongs in the Recording section of the forum.
That said........

You're in the military.
You may be moving around a lot.
You may be in cramped quarters.

What do you have now for a computer?

What other recording gear do you have?

It sounds like your primary intent is to add tracks (steel, whatever else) to works in progress that other friends are doing that live a ways away from you. Correct?

Do you have the ability to mic an amp? Or are you in a cramped living situation (apartment, etc.) where extra "noise" may cause your neighbors to go ballistic?

Do you have any experience with computer based recording?
Or recording at all, for that matter?
If not, how much time do you have to devote to learning and getting up and running?

I probably forgot something, but knowing these things we can home in on maybe a better answer to your needs.

One more comment.......Portastudios......
Tascam has, from the best I can tell, basically ditched the portastudio platform.
Their web site appears to have some "gaps" in being updated, but almost all of their previous portastudio products have been discontinued.
They still offer several hand held recorders with mics built in, but that is about it.
I don't get a good feeling from them.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 9:10 am    

Depending on your financial situation and your computer you may want to consider a portable recorder.

I use a Zoom R8 for quick recording. Very professional sounding , quick learning curve , lots of effects and
control and at a reasonable price of $299.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R8zoom--zoom-r8

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 10:41 am    

There is no argument about which DAW is better, it's a conversation about the process, receiving a song file, recording a track over the file, then returning that file. Recording is only one part of the puzzle.