The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many hours a day to you practice steel?
David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 5:55 am    

I typically get a few hours a day in practicing music. But the majority of it is on guitar (flatpicking, fingerpicking, chord solos, etc.). I just recently started trying to be disciplined and play thru my entire steel repertoire (which is only about 12 arrangements) I spend about 30-45 minutes each day now on steel.

How about you? How much time to you invest on steel each day?

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 7:14 am    

I would like to practice 4h a day but with the reality of work and family its more around 1h, sometimes just 15min and sometimes 2-3h but I think its important to practice everyday.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 8:09 am    

I spend about 4 hours a day in my music room.
About 2 hours is spent playing.
Maybe an hour is spent on writing and fiddling with a song.
A bit more time is spent on just listening.
I'm not a pro, I'm not even an amateur.
I've been doing this for only a few years.
I'm just an old fart that really enjoys the lap steel.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 9:16 am    

If I'm being honest, I probably average 30 minutes a day, ranging from 0 to 4 hours at a time. I try to get in at least a few minutes each day, but some days, there is literally no opportunity. It's a real bummer. I would LOVE to be able to get even a full hour in every day.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 4:12 pm    

I feel like this thread title is a targeted microaggression against me lol. Very Happy Reminds me when I was studying sitar and most "serious" sitar students would spend basically a working day in riyaz.

I'm in the minutes camp during the work week. Should be more, but too much stuff going on...little kids, work, house stuff. But, I'm not a professional, admittedly. Get in more hours on the weekend though.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 4:51 pm    

I rarely get to practice, maybe once a week for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes... but I perform at least 6 hours a week. And a couple songs to warm up before the gig and an encore or two. I guess that's kinda practice...

One problem is that I'm not learning very many new licks, so I really need to practice more.

Steve Marinak

Man O War Cay, Abaco, Bahamas
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 5:09 pm    

Larry, I think we are all just "old farts that really enjoy lap steel". Laughing

I had a jazz teacher once tell me something like: "Do you think Dan Marino can be this good without working hard? You should wake up a couple hours earlier than your regular wake up time for work. Practice at least an hour before leaving for work. Then practice another hour when you get home."

I think he must have perceived I was bellyaching about working too much and not having enough time to practice. Which I probably was, I was 20something and it was my first real job. I wasn't even a football fan, but I got his drift. Dropped him as a teacher. The next jazz teacher I had, we would just jam on Real Book songs and take turns soloing. After paying him a number of weeks I decided I could jam with my records for free. And on that thought. Jamming with records was probably one of the MOST effective methods for me to advance.

And now that I look back on the last 30+ years since that lesson. I actually do try to wake up early a few times per week most likely and practice before work. I guess that suggestion did stick in my brain.

Last edited by Steve Marinak on 6 Feb 2019 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 5:09 pm    

I have my instrument in my hands 3 to 4 hours/day or zero (I take a day off). But I am fulfilling a list of things on a daily basis:
1) transcribing and arr. solos, melodies from jazz recordings
2) fooling around with sounds/gear/recording
3) working on new and old repertoire
4) improvising
5) doing exercises (I’m taking some correspondence lessons with an incredible sax player)
6) falling down a rabbit hole

I’m also putting some time aside for writing and composing.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 5:27 pm    

Depends on how new the steel is . Smile

John Porcellino

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 7:46 pm    

I've been learning lap steel now for only six weeks or so... A few beginners books and online video lessons, but mainly still getting a handle on the bar and picks. I try to play a bit each day and end up sitting with it for an hour or two. Every couple days of that it seems like I come across some little a-ha moment that moves my technique forward a notch. I'm trying to be patient and enjoy the process.

Barbara Berg

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 2:39 pm     Practice hours

I try to play 20 minutes to a couple of hours a day depending on the farm chores. It's been snowing alot here in Washington so that affords me time to sit by my wood heater and noodle away! I recently won a steel body resonator at our local theater New Years Eve. This instrument has taken the place of my 1946 Ricky tuned in C6, just for a while, smile. My old tuning was open A, on my 1950's Supro. Found out all my old music when I took lessons as a 10 year old corresponded to DBGDBG on the resonator. I am playing all my old songs and having a fun time. We have open mic's at the theater Fri. nites. Been soliciting some of the old timers and their guitars to accompany me on songs like, "How much is that Doggy in the Window, Put your arms around me Honey, etc. It's so much fun playing...every day as an amatuer I learn licks or dub ins (riffs).

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 3:47 am    

For the past 5 years, I doubt I averaged 30 minutes a day - I was busy sailing my boat (and gear) back to the Virgin Islands for almost a year, then working up to 14 hours a day as a captain, and also 2 years of fixing up an old house. 3 months ago I sold that house, moved back to the Philippines (via a plane this time) and retired. I've been busy getting settled in, but I still got in at least 2 hours most days. Sometimes 3. Now, with a good bit of the chores done, I am working towards 3 hours a day. I doubt I can stay focused and interested beyond that - I'm just a wannabe who gets bored easily. I find it easier to practice, though, the better I get - less frustration, more confidence.

My partner is a classical pianist. He probably spends 6-8 hours a day practicing, and probably 1/3rd of the remaining time listening to other great pianists via Youtube. I lack that much commitment!

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 5:18 am    

Never a dull moment. I am retired and wife is disabled so most of the housework and cooking is down to me. However there are not many minutes a day away from the steel in one way or another. Gear is permanently set up in the shed. Look on the net reading all I can on steel and listening. Then dive into the shed to try something. I have another 8 string sitting by the computer so able to grab and try as I read and listen. Then have an idea for recording so prepare backing track in the kitchen via Band in a Box. Then cook dinner then out to record or learn the song.

Before an appearance at a festival I will practice my sets daily. Which is another thing. If you look at some of the TSGA vids it's surprising how many pro steelers will say "What shall we do - How about - Haven't played that for a while lets give it a go. Surely if you are appearing then practice is essential even for the pros. (Mick Hearn now get's off his high horse).

I would hate to tell the wife how many hours a day I'm playing but she probably knows anyway.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 8:20 am    

That depends on whatever other instruments demand my attention.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 10:07 am    

Me too. Although I'm technically retired, I keep getting asked to play trombone which requires daily practice to keep my face working. But I try to play steel every day. How long for depends. When I taught I learnt to detect when the pupil was saturated and would take no more in, and I can recognise that in myself. Anything from a few minutes to a couple of hours. I find the steel much more taxing mentally than any horn.