The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remembering Bill West.
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 1:57 pm    

Back in late 80's I remember watching Bill at the old E Tubb record shop. He was playing an old Bud and sounding great. I never saw this before,but some of his knee levers were channel lock pliers hanging down!! Worked like a charm!

Neil Degraw

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 5:44 pm    

When I saw Bill, he was playing with Dottie and had a completely/everything, gold plated steel. Can't remember what brand it was. We had a steel player, Spike, Gary Spicer, here in Canada, who played a Marlin with barn door hinges hanging down for knee levers.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 6:05 pm    

Things have changed so much. The gear we have now is built on the experimenting of the greats that were Willing to try anything. I tip my hat to them, they paved the way for us. Joe

jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2019 6:40 pm     Bill West

Neil,
I also worked a show in the early 1960's,that had Dottie and her band with Bill playing his gold plated Sho~Bud.
The next time I had occasion to speak with Bill, 1973, he told me he lost the gold plated Sho~Bud in the house fire they experienced while living in Nashville.
Regards, Jay Thompson

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2019 6:19 am    

I can still see Bill, on stage, every Saturday evening, at the Denison Theater. Sitting at his black Sho~Bud, playing with us. And Dottie coming up to do her part. We had 2 live sets, with a movie in between, that took up the whole Saturday night. This was right before She moved to Nashville. In Cleveland Ohio. Dottie also had a friend that would sing with her, named Cathy Dearth. When Dottie moved to Nashville, Cathy had her own band called Cathy's clowns.

David Nutt

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2019 1:37 pm    

I remember sitting and watching Bill playing with a band in Opryland in 79/80, when the show ended I introduced myself as a steel player from the UK, he was such a nice bloke, we went to eat and chatted steel guitar all night, fabulous guy and great player, he never once mentioned Dottie, I only found out later that they had been married.