The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Adobe Flash Updates
Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 10:22 pm    

I'm on a Mac running OS 1.12.6. I go to the actual Adobe site now and then to check for a Flash update. But I still get an abnormally large number of Flash update requests as windows opening on my deskop. The window allows me to dismiss the update for later, which crops up fairly soon. Are all these updates legit?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 2:01 pm    

I don't have a Mac computer so I'm guessing here.

If your browser allows Flash to run and also allows for automatic checking and downloading of any updates, once you've upgraded Flash and restarted the browser (and maybe also the computer), you should not see any more notices until the next time Adobe publishes a new version.

That said, scammers use fake Flash update pop-ups to trick people into installing Ransomware and Bitcoin miners, as well as keyloggers, remote control apps and spam bots. You can easily determine if you have the current version of Adobe Flash by visiting this page. If a small rectangular box doesn't appear showing your version of Flash, you may not have it installed in that browser. Flash is browser specific.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 2:42 pm    

These days Flash isn't really necessary for content anymore. Uninstall it. I bet you don't miss it.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 7:23 pm     Flash Player EOL at end of 2020

Adobe has announced that all distribution and support of Flash Player will cease late next year.

"Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020"

With this fact in mind, if you own or maintain websites that have embedded Flash content, start converting it into HTML 5 video, or CSS Slideshows. Once Flash Player is removed from all major browsers and no longer available for download from Adobe, your Flash content will not be viewable at all.

If you are a regular visitor to websites that rely upon Flash presentations, it would be a nice thing if you would contact the site owners or Webmasters and let them know your concerns about not being able to view their Flash content.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog