The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Yamaha THR 10 vs Roland Mobile Cube
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 3:35 pm    

Looking for opinions comparing and contrasting the strengths and weaknesses of both of these little battery-powered amps, especially from folks who have played both the THR and the Mobile Cube.

Recommendations?

Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2019 7:35 pm    

I've had both. They both sound good for their size. I ended up selling the micro cube after a year or so. It seemed like the speaker started to "fart out" regularly. Maybe it was my ears that changed but I grew to not care for the sound as much. The effects are a nice touch and sounded fine to me. This used be a very affordable amp but the prices have increased a lot over the last few years despite the amp remaining unchanged for a long time now. The micro cube and the THR both have multiple amp gain settings that go from clean to ridiculous.

I still have the THR. It is stereo and has 2 very small speakers. It has very clear (maybe too much) highs and not much bass. I prefer the sound of it over the micro cube just be prepared to really dial back the treble. I use mine a lot to plug my phone into for just listening to or to play along with music. I think this is where it really shines. The effects have a nice sound and are fun to play around with. The THR is more expensive but has been the better small amp option for me.

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 7:49 am    

I’m looking for a clean, warm sound for Hawaiian playing when running “portable”. I have the THR10C, and it’s got a ton of bells and whistles I don’t use, but does sound very good and is great for practicing since it’s really easy to mix a signal from my iPad in. I can do without all the digital models and overdrive a d crap.

I don’t have a Mobile Cube, but wish I did. Very few bells and whistles and they sound very good. Many of the Hawaiian players (like Bobby Ingano) tote them along and even mic them on stage. This a different creature than the Micro Cube mentioned above. It has lower output than the THR series, but has larger speakers which helps with perceived loudness.

I think the Mobile Cube would be easier to throw in a suitcase due to its shape.

I really wish Quilter would come out with a high quality battery powered 10-20 watt frill-free amp with only EQ and reverb. Could be killer.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2019 7:51 am    

I have the THR.
I like it and it works well for what I do.
You can gather literally 100's of presets online to use or make your own.
I have made some for each guitar I use to try and get the sound I want.
It works fairly well and it is fun to experiment.
I also use it as an interface to the computer when recording.
It sits on my desk next to the monitor taking up very little space.
For my limited abilities it does very well.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.