The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Heartache by Al Brisco
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2019 4:31 pm    

https://youtu.be/lcDdnZVHSfQ
Great song and playing by Al Brisco of Canada. Who's song was this originally?

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2019 6:53 pm    

It was a female Canadian singers record. I think he told me it was on Canadian county radio. I had it located on YouTube at one time but I can’t find it again because I can’t remember her name. It’s mighty pretty on pedal steel.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2019 7:01 pm    

I met Al back in 1995. Heck of a nice guy and one fine picker. I bought a cassette tape from him that day that was a instrumental tape he put together of him. That song was on there. I still have the tape some where here. I bet I listened to that cassette 100 times.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2019 11:25 pm    

Al Brisco released "The Heartache" on his CD entitled 'Pickin' Up The Dust' in 1994, the year I bought it from him. It was written by J. K. Gulley and Tim Taylor. The song had been sung by Canadian songstress Anita Perras. Al's rendition of this song certainly brings out "the haunting sound of the pedal steel guitar."

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2019 11:48 pm    

Al Brisco released "The Heartache" on his CD entitled 'Pickin' Up The Dust' in 1994, the year I bought it from him. It was written by J. K. Gulley and Tim Taylor. The song had been sung by Canadian songstress Anita Perras. Al's rendition of this song certainly brings out "the haunting sound of the pedal steel guitar."

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 4:29 pm    

Thanks one and all. To my surprise I also bought that CD from Al at Scottys International Steel Convention in St Louis. What a great song for the Pedal Steel, and Al does it right. I really appreciate the information.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 9:57 pm     The heartache By Al Brisco

If you put, The Heartache Will Get You In The End, Anita Perras on Youtube the song will come up. She was a very popular Canadian singer in the late 80's.
There is some beautiful steel work on the original too. Al does a beautiful instrumental of it.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 3:22 pm    

Bobby, I did just that and found a lovely voice for this touching song. I see how Al did his interpretation of the melody and I love it. I saved both to my personal favorite file. Next I have to get to work learning how to play it.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 6:43 pm    

Hey guys, listen to this one. YouTube: The Heartache, Lawnie Wallace. I think I like it better. Have no clue who she is. I still like Al’s steel version the best. I have trouble getting it slow enough & maybe it sounds better a tad faster. The vocal versions are very slow.