The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A pedal sharp
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 11:37 am    

I'm starting to notice that, when I tune my strings and pedals to pitch, when I mash the A pedal, the note is a little sharp. This is especially noticeable on the 3 fret up, A & F lever inversion. Is this a common thing you just need to work around? I notice a little cab drop here and there, but it's not been really a big problem. But this A pedal thing is a little aggravating. Is this like the G string on guitar that you can never quite get in perfect pitch?

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 12:11 pm    

That note plays a different role in those two chords, and the same pitch won't necessarily be the most pleasing (or sound "in tune") in both situations. A lot of people use "sweetened" tunings which help split the difference, for lack of a better term.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 12:26 pm    

Thanks Chris. What I started doing was to either let of the A or let into the B just a little to compensate, but it's a little tricky to get it right all the time.

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 1:26 pm    

John Widgren suggested to me to tune the E strings to a tuner with A+B pedal down, then do the rest by ear. Good way to figure out what sounds good to you versus what's "in tune" in an absolute sense.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 5:04 am    

Maybe I'll try that. Paul Franklin has a thing in his course about tuning by ear, and it makes a whole lot of sense. Although I have a good ear, I'm still a little green at tuning one of these things by ear - there's a whole lot going on with one of them.