The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Shout-Out for GD Walker and The Stereo Steel
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 3:09 pm    

I've been searching for a new, light-weight, high-headroom combo amp for several years now. Trying to simplify, go back to "basics". A steel - vol. pedal - amp type setup. I've been trying a few of the newer, popular, steel guitar amps. My happiness with them has been somewhat limited unfortunately. I'm not saying they're bad amps at all. For me though, there was always something not quite there.

Today, for the first time in well over a year, I set up my Stereo Steel rig and plugged in my '69 Rosewood, D-10 Emmons. Seems I'd forgotten just how great that rig sounds. There it was, the sound I'd been searching for from all those other amps to no avail. I then realized that the sound I'd been seeking I already had in that Stereo Steel rig.

I'm not giggin' that much these days. When I do, I'll carry the few extra pieces and take my Stereo Steel. When I do play, I might as well be happy with the sound my amp is providing. The Stereo Steel has never let me down in this or any other way. I ordered mine from GD Walker 18 years ago.

GD Walker and the Stereo Steel Rig he made for me have provided an awesome sound in all situations and top-line service. Here's a big shout-out and thumbs-up for the man and his product..!!

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 3:19 pm    

Chris, I agree with you 100%
I got a Stereo Steel about 10 years ago and it's the only rig I'll use on a gig. I've got a Nashville 400 and 1000, but, they stay home for practice or just noodling around.
I also use a TC Electronics M-300 for a processor. I'm happy with that too.
Hey, let me know if you're gigging anywhere within driving distance. Would love to come hear you.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 3:48 pm    

I love my Stereo Steel rig!
Very Happy

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 4:55 pm    

I made a mistake and sold mine, and two weeks later I had to have another one because nothing comes close under $2000.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 6:42 pm    

Love my SS amp with 2 JBL speakers. Gerry Walker is also a nice guy👍

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 7:15 pm    

I agree!!! I have bought some of the boutique tube amps but sold them because to me, at least, they dont come close to the Stereo Steel. The only amp that comes close, at least in my mind, is the Telonics. I wont be without either amp!

Craig
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 9:14 pm     A shout out for GD Walker and the Stereo Steel

Add me to the list as a satisfied customer of the Stereo Steel. I have only had mine a couple of months. I am getting the best sound ever,and I have went through a lot of amps. I have a combo mounted in a rack along with a single space Evans stereo pre-amp. The Evans plugs into the RCA inputs of the SS, so I don't need a separate power amp for it. Between the two, I have killer sound. I bought my SS used but GD has bent over backwards answering my questions just like I had bought it from him. GD and the SS are first class all the way. I am running two GD cabinets, one with a 15"JBL D-130 speaker and the other cabinet with a Travis Toy TT-12 speaker. Also, a Black Box and Wet Reverb. I have a DD-3 delay coming in next week.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 12:19 am    

I get a great sound with my SS combo into Telonics cabs, one is open back with a Telonics-beefed up JBL, the other a closed back with BW, both 15-inch speakers.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how to get set up for playing mono and stereo stompboxes through it, but I'm rock-dumb when I see the words "series" and "parallel" in Gerry's brief instruction on that. Can anyone clue me in?

I'm trying to get true stereo with my B9, Neo Vent II, Hardwire chorus, BOSS DD-7 and Mimiq. Just need mono for compressors and distortions.

I've got the TC Electronics M-One XL in my rack that Gerry bundles the SS with.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 7:25 am    

John, Your best bet would be to call GD and have him talk or Skype you thru it.

The effects-loop has Stereo in's and out's.
Stereo effects have Stereo in's and out's.
So that is pretty straight forward.

Any effect that needs to be before the volume pedal, like a B9, or compression, or distortion, has nothing to do with the effects loop.

The only thing I run in the effects loop is Reverb and/or Delay.

With an RV3, Per GD, use either the left or right Effect loop output, then return both L/R signals to the L/R effects return inputs.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 11:47 am    

Great product. Great guy. I used one his combo amps for quite a while. Only reason I went away from it is due to the fact that I needed a 2 channel combo head or a separate 2 channel amp only head, neither of which he offered at the time.

I talked to him several times on the phone. Always cheerful and helpful. I'm sure he would be glad to address your issues John. He's a pretty smart cookie and open to variables.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 12:13 pm    

Thanks Jerry and Pete, my info sheet on that came from Gerry direct, but I'm just not the best at understanding how to inferface my FX through the SS and/or the M-One XL. I do need to call him again.

Steely Pete, maybe you can drive up and spend a weekend to sort all this out with me, hold my hand and teach me a thing or three! We have a nice guest room for you.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 12:45 pm    

I would like to do that sometime!
But please understand, I don't use any rack-mount effects, for exactly this reason. Smile

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 3:32 pm     A shout out for GD Walker and the Stereo Steel

I've been there done that with rack mount effects units. I have had a Lexickon MPX-1 with the top pro's s programs loaded and the TC Electronics that GD sells for the SS. I didn't think either of them sounded as good as my Wet Reverb pedal. Having to look at a tiny TV Screen and scroll through a bunch of stuff, then set paramaters,is more trouble than it's worth. I have a DD-3 delay coming in next week, but I have my doubts I will need it with my Wet Reverb. Give me my stomp boxes any day. Just what works for me, others will differ.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 8:48 am    

I ended up with Bobby Black's Stereo Steel rig just yesterday. I only spent a few minutes with so far but my first impression is that it sounds amazing and I'm looking forward to playing out with it.

The Digitech Quad 4 rack mount powers up but doesn't seem to be working or responding....maybe need a new battery of factory reset?

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 10:29 am    

I had one they were great amps.O did not care much for the Digite ch effects. I used a Quadreverb.