The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ernie ball volume pedal
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 9:37 am    

Are these good volume pedals.i am considering getting the mono pedal.my main question is are these good with a pedal steel i dont know much about them.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 9:42 am    

The jacks are in the front on the newer models. That's a real problem if you play pedal steel.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 12:18 pm    

i will check them out the main reason i looked at these is the price they are not too bad.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 1:13 pm    

I use an EB pedal.b0b's right about the front-mounted inputs being a problem,but right angle plugs do help.Other than that an EB works OK for me.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 1:38 pm    

There were a couple here in the classifieds with the side jacks at good prices. You might do a search and see if they're still available.

The older one with the side jacks works fine for steel guitar. I've used 'em several times. You'll find the travel is a bit longer and some of them have a 250K pot for a bit darker sound, but you can adjust that with your amp eq. An Ernie is OK in my book anytime.

I suppose if you're a really tall guy, the longer treadle travel could be an issue.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 10 Jun 2011 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 1:42 pm    

if you're a tall guy you may hate the EB pedal - its got a very tall profile.

I prefer the goodrich L120 for a passive pedal. Its got a 500K pot, the price is right, and it works for my long leg so that I don't have to tip the steel too far forward if I play in boots.
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 1:44 pm    

Yeah Tim, I just thought to edit my post with that info while you were make your entry.

Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 1:46 pm    

I have an older EB pedal with a Bradshaw/Dunlop pot in it. I works fine but I find I have to put a 1/2" block of wood under the rear feet to get it to a comfortable angle.

Ron Wright

Modesto,CA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 2:15 pm    

I have 2 of the older ones, with broken strings. I plan to fix them someday and use as backup,but every time i look at putting new strings on them I change my mind lol
Peavey Special 130
Ovation
Gibson 330
boss DD3,DS-1,TU-2,PS-2,Behringer rotary rm600
Goodrich 120,BoBro,RV2,Hilton Vp, Steeldriver3

Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 2:53 pm     EB volume pedal

Hey Ron , what would sale one of those for, I might be interested if the price is right(got 3 steels and 2 VPs) Rolling Eyes Smile

Ron Wright

Modesto,CA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 2:58 pm    

sorry ,I'm gonna hang on to them for now
Peavey Special 130
Ovation
Gibson 330
boss DD3,DS-1,TU-2,PS-2,Behringer rotary rm600
Goodrich 120,BoBro,RV2,Hilton Vp, Steeldriver3

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2011 7:19 am    

One of the best things about Ernie Ball VP is they are readily available. The throw doesn't "throw" me, and angle-plugs work fine.

I go from the guitar into a buffering device before the VP, so the value of the potentiometer is less an issue.

At one time, the company would refurbish your pedal for a reasonable price; not sure about that now.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2011 10:28 am    

I have used both EB and Goodrich volume pedals for decades. It has been my experience that they sound quite different. The EB volume pedal sounds better in my studio, where I go directly into the board, without using an amp, and the Goodrich sounds better when used with an amp.

I don’t like the way either of them sounds when their roles are reversed. The Goodrich sounds too bright in the studio, but works perfectly when playing live. The EB cuts down on the high frequencies, and makes the tone somewhat dull when used with an amp, but sounds just fine in the studio. All my recordings (except the live one on Charles Tilly’s site) were made with the EB.

Interestingly, the EB doesn't seem to cut out the highs that way on my stringmaster. When I was gigging full time and had both guitars on stage, I used the Goodrich with my MSA and the EB with the Fender.

Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2011 3:24 am    

I agree with Mike--My EB pedal seems to attenuate the highs slightly, even though it has the exact same pot as the Goodrich--the Bradshaw/Dunlop pot.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2011 7:50 am    

Every position less than full on cuts the highs on a pot pedal. If the full on position of the pedal doesn't move the pot to full on, you'll never hear the full tone of your guitar. That might be the difference that you're hearing, Ray.

Any gadgets between the guitar and the pot pedal will change the way that pedal affects the highs. It all depends on the impedance at the input jack. Different pickups (like those in a Stringmaster) have a different impedance, which explains why Mike doesn't hear the same degree of roll-off from that guitar.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2011 2:50 pm    

im not in a hurry to get a volume pedal so i am going to look around a while.other than fender and ernie ball is there any that run under two hundred dollars.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2011 4:18 pm    

Watch the classifieds here for a used Goodrich 120. They come up sometimes at a good price. Sometimes around $100 a or less, or perhaps a little more. Just be sure it has a good pot as they will run you around $30 for a replacement pot.

Also Sho-Bud free standing volume pedal. Some steel builders offered a pedal with their label....the quality varies and some of them require specific hardware for mounting to the pedal board.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2011 4:26 pm    

Notwithstanding all the bad-mouthing I have seen on the forum I am on my third Ernie Ball volume pedal in the past thirty years. Changed pots once or twice but this one I purchased new as I was on the road and had no time for repairs when the previous pot went bad, illustrating the very important positive point made by Bobby Snell that they are readily available pretty much anywhere.

My current unit has the jacks in front but as the main input and output are below the pedal crossbar on my Pro I it is not an issue. The bottom line is that it sounds great WITH THAT PARTICULAR GUITAR's original pickup, although with my other steel I prefer the original Emmons pot pedal (470KOhms) or my backup Goodrich Steel Man light-actuated pedal, each of which seems to get a better tone out of the George L's.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2011 4:58 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Watch the classifieds here for a used Goodrich 120. They come up sometimes at a good price. Sometimes around $100

I have one for sale as well as a 6122 with the impedance matching circuitry.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=204393

Since nobody bought either pedal, I will eat the shipping charges if anybody buys ether one.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 3:48 am    

I have an Ernie Ball VP that I leave set up at our practice space. To remedy the long throw problem, I adjusted the pedal to full on when depressed, then glued a short 3/4" block of wood to the lower rear section of the case to act as a stop.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 9:35 am    

I neglected to mention that I also choose to adjust the pot to be fully on when pushed forward, which means it is never fully off when pulled back. That will work fine for some but may be a deal-killer for others. The bottom line is that while these are not necessarily the "best" VP for many pedal steel players the price and availability factors make them a viable option for others.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 9:53 am    

Ray McCarthy wrote:
I agree with Mike--My EB pedal seems to attenuate the highs slightly, even though it has the exact same pot as the Goodrich--the Bradshaw/Dunlop pot.

I don't understand how that could be. My Goodrich has the original Allen Bradley pot, (which still works after nearly 30 years) and the EB has the stock pot. I always assumed the different pots accounted for the differences in the way the pedals sound.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 11:43 am    

I explained it in my post above, Mike.

Also, the length and gauge of wires used inside the pedal will have a small effect on frequency response, just like the other wires used in your setup. You lose more highs with a long wire than with a short wire. There are a lot of variables besides just the pot.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 4:16 pm     Roll Off...

Concur with Bob... Many effects and causes.

I consider the Ernie Ball pedal an "Open" pedal, the Goodrich a "Closed" pedal.

Open........ Ernie Ball Type
Simi Open... Emmons, Sho-Bud Type
Closed...... Goodrich, Carter
Very Closed. Old Fender Type

Has to do with signal shielding and each can effect the sound a little differently. Even how close the wires are run to the side of the pedal.

I prefer the Open or Simi Open and a degree of roll off. Other opinions may vary.

Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2011 2:27 am    

On the attenuation issue, the proximity of the wires to the case (ground) can cause a reduction in the highs through capacitance.