The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Slivertone Jupitor Guitar
Bill Paisley

Athens, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2019 9:02 am    

Does anyone have any information on a Silvertone Jupitor Guitar mod 1423. I resently had some work done on one. It was made in the early 60s I believe. I had help from a professional Guitar builder. This guitar has a 3 position selector switch. One was treble, one bass and one was blender. The job was to replace the two pickups. When I picked up the guitar I noticed that when the selector switch was in the blender position there was no control of the volume and tone controls for each of the pickups there is a control called blender. It would vary the outputs from the two pickups. When consulting the Installer he said that was the way the guitar was wired. The owner of the guitar could not remember how the guitar really worked. I was able to get a schematic and wiring diagrams of the guitar. My examination concluded that was the way the guitar was put out. I was able to do some changes to the wiring and have the volume and tone controls in the circuit. I did some consulting with some people that had worked for the company and they said that was the way the guitar came out. I don't understand the purpose of the design and wandering if I'm overlooking something

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2019 4:39 pm    

Here's a schematic for the wiring:

Bill Paisley

Athens, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2019 6:29 pm    

Yes I have that schematic. The way I see it when the selector is in the middle position the volume and tone controls are switched out of the circuit

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 6:43 am    

That's correct, but I don't know why they did it that way. The only thing I can think of is that the blend control actually becomes a sort of tone control, as you sweep between the two different pickup circuits. There would, of course, be no volume control in that mode, but most lead players I've encountered normally run their guitar volumes wide open anyway, or nearly so.

Bill Paisley

Athens, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 7:22 pm    

Donny Thanks for the post. What I did in the rewiring I moved the Blender control behind the volume and tone controls. The selector switch when in the 1 and 3 positions still operated the same as before. When in the middle you could control the tone and volume for each pickup and mix the two. I think it work especially well to be able to control the volume.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 8:44 am    

You did good, Bill. That's what I would have done. About 50 years ago, I played with a guy that had one of these guitars, but he was a beginner and either used one pickup or the other.