The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Peppers
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 8:52 am    

Jimmy Peppers passed Feb 18, 2019 at his home in Yankeetown, Florida. Peppers had a long career in Nashville. He was the drummer in Ferlin Husky’s “Hushpuppy” band in the Mid 60’s. From 1968 to 1973 he was George Jones’ band manager and backup singer. He has written several recorded songs including Jack Greene’s “Love Takes Care of Me”. “Forever Yours” that was recorded by Dottie West and Tammy Wynette. Several that Jones recorded including “Playing Possum” and “Tonight I Just Don’t Give A Damn”. He also produced Mel Street’s last album “The Town Where You Live”. He wrote many more that were recorded by many Nashville artists including Faron Young, Ferlin Husky, Johnny Paycheck. There will not be any service, he will be cremated and his son will receive the ashes.

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 19 Feb 2019 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 9:13 am    

Good guy and talented songwriter. Rest In Peace Peppers.

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 10:49 am    

Sorry to hear this Jack.I met him a couple of times. It was Paycheck who introduced us.He was a good drummer and a talented song writer. Rest in peace Jimmy

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 7:34 pm    

Godspeed Jimmy!

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2019 6:26 am     Peppers

Jimmy was full of life and would show up now and then at one of my gigs. Write another for George when you see him Jim.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Allan Morris

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 5:38 am    

always fun to be around. Had the pleasure of being in a band with Peppers. what a singer he was, I will miss him for a while, till I see him again. prayers for his family,Allan Morris

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 6:55 am    

Peppers wrote several "Roger Millerish" type songs. Two that I've recorded with him; "If I can't be your number 1, number 2 on you" and a take off on the Winn-Dixie supermarket chain "I never did win Dixie".

He was good a making up a song on the spot. When we were on the road with Tommy Cash (Jimmy on drums) he would get him up from his drums and give him his guitar and get someone in the audience to give him a word and he would make up a song around that word.