The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Earnest Bovine (lowering string 7 to F/E RKL)
Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 4:45 pm    

Hi Earnest,

First I must say that you are one of the greatest and innovative pedal steel players I have ever heard live. I used to watch you at Swallows Inn playing with Chris Gaffney and was just awwed by how cool of notes and tones you produced. This was before I ever tried playing pedal steel.

My question to you is why do you lower string 7 to F/E on your RKL? What type of sounds/licks does this change do? Does it work in conjunction with other lever changes?

On my BMI lefty steel, I have a couple of your regular changes (lowering 3 and 6 a half tone on a lever, raising 6 a whole tone on zero pedal) and I love using these two together to get your seventh tone on string 3 in the A B pedal position. This is so much more useful than how Norm Hamlet got this sound with his zero pedal setup. I had raised 6 a whole step for many years, but just recently discovered how this works so well with the 3 and 6 lower. Thank you!

Stephen

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 10:01 am    

I'd like to know too, Doug! Always studying copedents as I revise my own.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 11:51 am    

Steve Leal wrote:
why do you lower string 7 to F/E on your RKL? What type of sounds/licks does this change do? Does it work in conjunction with other lever changes?

Thanks for the nice words and reminders of Chris.

Lowering my 7th string F# was originally just a copy of the common P5 on C6 tuning, lowering only a half step. At that time my 3 pedal E9 had P3 raising 5 and 6 a whole step, a copy of the common P7 on C6 tuning. So with those 2 changes, my E9 tuning had most of the C6 sounds that you would have on a universal tuning (but not the very low notes of course.)
That use of the half step drop on string 7 would be to E#, giving you a C# 9th chord for example. But I found that it was also useful to change the D major chord to D minor. The 5th string with A pedal gives you Dm6 and Dm Maj7, which are useful melody notes. The temperament (fine tuning) of that F is quite a bit higher than the note when used as E#, but since it's a knee lever, you can just listen and control it.

The whole step drop on string 7 came soon after, just tightening the nut to see what would happen. The half stop at F worked right away on the old Sho-Bud, with the half stop on string 2 on the same lever. It is just like dropping your middle G to F on the C6 tuning. Maurice Anderson used it a lot on his Bb 6 tuning (lowering F to Eb on a knee lever).

Also, because the same lever lowers string 9 D to C#, you can even get the hillbilly sound of mashing the AB pedals on strings 6,7,9, or strings 7,9,11, using just RKL to change between the D major triad and A major triad.

And of course there are lots of other uses for this pull once you get used to knowing it is always there

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 11:51 am    

Steve Leal wrote:
I have a couple of your regular changes (lowering 3 and 6 a half tone on a lever, raising 6 a whole tone on zero pedal) and I love using these two together to get your seventh tone on string 3 in the A B pedal position.

This I do not understand. Are you raising 6 a whole step to A#, and also using the knee lever to lower it to A? I think that would be hard to tune, and anyway it is much easier to just mash the AB pedals.

Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 7:17 pm    

Earnest,

Wow, thank you so much for your great info! I can’t wait to fiddle around with this change.

Yes, when I raise 6 to A# and lower 6 back down to A with a separate lever, the tone is landing right on A with my BMI (no splits). When I do this combination, I get my G note on string 3 rather than having to grab the G on string 1. I still do it that way typically, but it is cool to have both options and I like sweeping down from 3 to 6.

Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 8:06 pm    

Earnest,

I sat at my steel and lowered string 7 first a half step which I see is great to get the D minor position starting on string 9. I also see how cool it sounds in conjunction with lowering Es and lowering string 9 to C# to get the 6 interval 9th chord,...or just lower string 7 and 9 a half step together to get that BooWah chord!

Dang, I see the compromise. Man, would be nice to have a separate lever to lower 7 independantly Sad

Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 1:55 pm    

Hi Earnest,

Here is what my copedent worked out to be. I am really liking this setup. Thank you again for the inspiration!

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 3:42 pm    

Wow, that is the closest I've ever seen to my setup. Lowering 7 F# only a half step actually has an advantage that I sometimes wish I could do; namely a nice 2-5 in F# minor on open strings 5,6,7,9. (5,7,9,11 on my 12 string)

Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 4:03 pm    

I really like when I have my Es lowered two frets down from open position making the 2m chord ... then activate pedal 1 to get that dissonance note ... deactivate pedal 1 ... and finally activate the half step lower of string 7 and 9 to make the 5 dominant 7th chord (still two frets down from open).

Also love the sound when the open position is 5 chord ... active lower of string 7 and hit strings 4 and 5 together ... then slide down 3 frets ... then release and slide up 1 fret while lowering Es to get the 1 6th chord to resolve. Like Buddy's jazzy version of "I Love You Because" haha!

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 5:58 pm     dropping #7 F# string to a E note

While there's certainly different ways to use the F# note, up or down, I first heard Gary Hogue dropping the F# to E while he and Jr. Knight were playing together at a music store in Texas. Then the 1993 Waco show video is GH on a D-10 MCI and the F# to E lick is there along w/JK. Great pickers all over Texas !!!