The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  It is called the music bussiness
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 9:20 am    

Up a flight of stairs with all of your gear, 40 degrees and dropping, no heat, little light, a rock band in the next room beating their brains out. no PA or sound guy to run it. Lucky it was only a practice session for upcoming gig.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 9:39 am     Re: It is called the music bussiness

Larry Behm wrote:
Up a flight of stairs with all of your gear,

And you're thinking "If I had taken up harmonica instead, it would fit in my pocket!"

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2019 6:03 pm    

I research out where I play or practice way before a gig. Stairs have a limit. Stages ok. A flight of stairs like to a second story ain't never going to get it. If someone who hires me is booking a gig with a flight of stairs we have agreement on having my gear taken up and down. 65 years old and a flight of stairs don't get it. I play mostly outdoor gigs, weather permitting. Almost forgot the most important thing. That would be Restrooms or porta johns with close access. I played at a large downtown city hoedown and the closest rest rooms were 2 blocks away!!! Not acceptable for a large function like that.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 9:01 am    

"I played at a large downtown city hoedown and the closest rest rooms were 2 blocks away!!!"

And lemme guess.......There were only two stalls for a thousand or so people.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 3:00 pm     Re: It is called the music bussiness

Don R Brown wrote:
Larry Behm wrote:
Up a flight of stairs with all of your gear,

And you're thinking "If I had taken up harmonica instead, it would fit in my pocket!"

Except, harp players these days carry a case the size of a Jeep with all their harps. Be a singer and all you have to carry is a mic and cable. You don't even need a stand if you play no instruments.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2019 7:32 pm    

I'd tell them to send a song list with the keys and tell them "I'll see you at the gig."

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 8:25 am    

I played a few gigs in the past with staircases. One of them was in Chapel Hill in the mid-eighties, with a very narrow staircase with a bunch of right angle turns to it, I thinking it was 3rd floor. After moaning and groaning about it, some of the older guys told me that they played in R&B bands in the 60s, and would routinely haul Hammond B-3s to places like that all the time haha! - that shut me and my Super Reverb up right quick!