The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which neck (T-8) for more- or less-used tunings?
Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 7:39 am    

About to string up a T-8 for the first time. I have one tuning I know best and a couple that will be new/experimental. Is there a general rule as to where to put your regular/standby tuning and where to put the one(s) you use less frequently? I've never much played one with legs so I don't know if I'll be standing or sitting more, if that matters.

As always, any input appreciated.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 12:40 pm    

I've always put my most used tuning (A6 in my case) on the neck closest to me. On Stringmasters, I've found that the closest neck usually has the strongest tone/volume with the other necks slightly thinner sounding. Also, because of something to do with impedence that I don't understand, if I use a volume/tone pedal, the tone sweep effect is much stronger on the nearest neck and weakest (almost to the point of doing nothing) on the furthest neck. I have found this to be true on a double, triple and quad Stringmaster as well as a Dual Pro and Custom Triple (the older trapezoid models). So all of 'em have A6 on the neck closest to me.

Last edited by Jeff Mead on 2 Feb 2019 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 1:08 pm    

That's interesting about proximity and tone. My natural inclination was that the nearer neck would be the go-to one for convenience and access to the tone and volume pots, but I thought there might be something about ergonomics that dictated otherwise. I'm checking out a few good players on youtube and they seem to be gravitating towards the near one. Thanks, Jeff.

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 1:29 pm    

In my opinion, I think it depends on what you used too do in terms of a double neck.
But 3 or 4 necks would probably be different.
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 2:20 pm    

Thanks, Joe--I'm coming from a single so it's a whole new ball game at this point.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 5:53 pm    

I honestly don't know how exactly this affects tone but consider the Stringmaster design...each neck gets progressively thicker. I'd have to think that affects things in some way...good or bad. I'm a relative newbie, so I'm not drawing on any rich tradition but I keep my most comfortable tuning in front and then the odder ones as you move back from the front neck. Just personal preference.

For me, it's, from near to far, C13 (my "comfortable" tuning), then B11 (kind of foreign but useful for a good handful of songs I play), then "miscellaneous", which I think is E13 presently, has been A6 and threatens to be a baritone neck every now and again...

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 1:35 am    

Nic Neufeld wrote:
I honestly don't know how exactly this affects tone but consider the Stringmaster design...each neck gets progressively thicker. I'd have to think that affects things in some way...good or bad. I'm a relative newbie, so I'm not drawing on any rich tradition but I keep my most comfortable tuning in front and then the odder ones as you move back from the front neck. Just personal preference.

For me, it's, from near to far, C13 (my "comfortable" tuning), then B11 (kind of foreign but useful for a good handful of songs I play), then "miscellaneous", which I think is E13 presently, has been A6 and threatens to be a baritone neck every now and again...

I agree that the neck thickness probably contributes something but it doesn't make nearly as much difference as the wiring in my opinion.

And so we don't get confused, most people call the "front" neck the one nearest the audience (the Fender logo is on the front). So I'd say your C13 is actually on the back neck (the one nearest you).

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 4:02 pm    

Jeff Mead wrote:

And so we don't get confused, most people call the "front" neck the one nearest the audience (the Fender logo is on the front). So I'd say your C13 is actually on the back neck (the one nearest you).

Thanks...that's a good clarification, and makes sense! You're right, I meant the "near" neck.