The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pot
Johnny Jones

Benton, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2019 3:35 pm    

Is the volume pot that's in a new goodrich pedal,the same as the dunlop 470.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2019 4:54 pm    

Yes, the guts are the same, as far as I know. But the new Goodrich pots have a longer shaft so it's easier to adjust the 'on' or 'off' point.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2019 5:16 pm    

Tucker, I can't speak for the Dunlops other than they are great pots and consistent. Dunlop DID NOT make those pots. We supplied the engineer with our rotation/resistance characteristics that we required. Along with our other requirements, they met our needs. They are very similar to the pots Dunlop sells. Hope this helps.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2019 8:04 pm    

kevin ryan wrote:
Tucker, I can't speak for the Dunlops other than they are great pots and consistent. Dunlop DID NOT make those pots. We supplied the engineer with our rotation/resistance characteristics that we required. Along with our other requirements, they met our needs. They are very similar to the pots Dunlop sells. Hope this helps.

Thanks Kevin. Sorry if I got it wrong. I was parroting what Jim Palenscar said in this old thread, where he said the electrical characteristics were the same between the two (even though the Goodrich are not made by Dunlop). The Goodrich is the preferred pot for its easier adjustability. It's what I use, so thanks for making these available.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=321964

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 3:50 pm    

Tucker, I don't think I was all that clear.. no surprise there!
Dunlop does not make any pots. They buy their pots from a potentiometer manufacturer. We used the same manufacturer but we had them build us a custom Goodrich pot with our needs and desired characteristics.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 9:33 am    

Johnny,
I am your Goodrich dealer in this neck of the woods. Send me an EMAIL and I will try to help you.

Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 12:29 pm    

I've installed a few of the Dunlop Hot Potz 470K. They sound fine to me. The taper is a bit different from the old style AB etc. pots, but I got used to it pretty quick.

I don't know if the Dunlop and Goodrich have the same taper, but I believe they do. The one complaint about the Dunlop is that it has a flat spot on the shaft and that makes it difficult to alter the start/stop point as the flat is where the set screw wants to go. It's easy enough to hacksaw a slot in the end of the shaft, but you just can't adjust it much, if at all.

They are quite a bit cheaper though and they work well enough for me.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 2:03 pm    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
Johnny,
I am your Goodrich dealer in this neck of the woods. Send me an EMAIL and I will try to help you.

Bill

Bill delivers great, fast service. He also offers the option of pre-soldered wiring to the Goodrich pot, since some find that part of the replacement process more difficult than the soldering to the jack-end of things.

And as Jerry pointed out, you have the pre-cut notch in the shaft so you can quickly get the pedal adjusted to your preferred 'on' point with a screwdriver after installation. I sound like a paid endorser... but no. The smart people at Goodrich solved the adjustment problem for us.