The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can a Right-Handed PS Guitarist Have Right-Footed Pedals?
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2019 11:31 pm    

At the SWSGA show this weekend, I asked Mark Giles about the (otherwise right-handed) steels he made for himself after with pedals on the right, due to the effects of a stroke that affected his left leg.

He mentioned that Frank Carter (Infinity Guitars) made a right-foot-pedals guitar for a player whose left leg had been partially amputated. I think in the past GFI has made a similarly customized steel.

In my own case, I've had some bone removed (osteomyelitis complicated by diabetes; technically, also an amputation) from my left foot. As a consequence, I now have a hard time pressing the pedals with my left foot with precision and coordination. I've been wondering about perhaps turning a ZB SD-10 into a right-pedal arrangement someday, but for the moment, I'm trying to make a softer-action BMI and/or Emmons student model work for me. (Partly because I don't want to confront the now-what-do-I-do with-the-knee-levers question.)

All that said, I have to come down on the side of the don't-reinvent-the-wheel comments unless there's a physical obstacle to using the left-pedals, right-volume model.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 2:50 am    

Jerry, as a new player, still withing my first year of it, I have found two things that kinda shocked me. In the fact that I'd never have thought they would have been as tricky as the are. And, they became the two things that I'm worst at: #1 - Bar shimmer, & #2 - Volume pedal control. My left foot doesn't give me near the fits with the pedals that my right foot does trying to use the volume pedal correctly - you might want to consider that when you state "my right foot is more coordinated than my left". Your left foot may appear to be doing a lot of fancy footwork but, the reality for me, is that all it's really doing is mashing pedals - the 2 trickiest things I've come across is 1) mashing half a pull, and it's not a real big thing; and 2) changing from AB to BC smoothly. On the other hand (or foot), the right foot on the vol control becomes, sort of the conductor of "the Music" that comes out of your guitar: it sets the mood your wanting to convey, keeps you in sync with the volume of the band, and any # of other tricky things (listen to Tom Brumley's, or especially, Jimmy Day's playing for example).

I am probably the last guy who should be giving you advice, as I'm not too far ahead of where you are at - these other guys on here are in a much better position than me to say, but these have been my humble observations over the last year or so.

One other thing about Emmons vs Day:When I was where you are at, trying to hash out what would be best for me, I learned about the difference of the ABC pedal set up, and tried it out with my 56 yr old, overworked ankle, and asked: which way does my ankle prefer to rock? That thought and preponderance pretty well solved that issue for me in short order - it was Day for me. Good luck, this is kind of a fascinating journey.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 4:53 am    

It may not be much consolation that the right foot is assigned the expression pedal (VP or 'loud' pedal on a piano). Other posts suggests there may be a reason for this.
It's an argument for doing things the conventional way, unless, as Jack Stoner says, you want to 'reinvent the wheel.' It's a longer road.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 8:23 am    

The thing I would keep in mind is that EVERYTHING you do when your are first learning pedal steel feels very unnatural. You probably won't like the fingerpicks. Controlling the bar takes some time to feel natural and relaxed. The pedal & lever application & learning to time these with bar movement and picking.... No part of your body is actually used to the fine motor skills you will develop as you learn. I'd recommend just getting a "standard" type of set up and plug away. It's fun, it's frustrating at times, it's the best challenge ever, because the reward really is just knowing that you can make this machine produce music.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 10:35 am    

And adding to what I said ^^

Down the road, if you consider getting a new guitar, you'll have to consider paying AGAIN for the customization. And your options will again be limited.