The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can a Right-Handed PS Guitarist Have Right-Footed Pedals?
Jerry H. Brown

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 9:47 pm    

Hello everybody, I'm a newbie to PSG and just joined the forum last week.
I am ready! Let's do this!
After 4 decades of performing music (Trumpet in Orchestras and Jazz bands, Electric Bass and Guitar in Rock bands), I'm tired of dreaming of playing PSG and am now ready to get real with it. Even though I do not currently have one, my passion for playing the PSG has been growing in me for the past 6+ months. I anticipate my 1st purchase real soon.

I have scoured this site and others for any/all information I can get, watched 40+ hours of instructional videos, read many PSG related web sites, and even spent time developing my own advanced Excel spreadsheets showing different aspects of the PSG fret board layout with foot pedals and knee levers. It may seem silly, but I even pantomime playing the PSG (with pretend pedals and knee levers) as I learn/watch others do it -- to make sure I have the physical coordination required to be good at the PSG, before I purchase my first. But unlike other newbies who are looking for a dual neck, I am just concentrating on a single neck S-10 or SD-10 (or S-12, SD-12).

The typical "right-handed" PSG player uses Right Hand for Picking, Left Hand for the Bar, Right Foot for the Volume pedal (and Right Knee Levers), and Left foot for the floor pedals (and Left Knee Levers).

Although I am a "right-handed guitarist", I know my right foot is more 'coordinated' than my left foot.
What I've come to learn about myself and the PSG (through my practise of pantomimic exercises) is that I think I would feel more dexterous to have the Floor pedals under my right foot and the Volume pedal under my left foot. My right foot works better than my left foot for floor pedal dexterity.

Unfortunately, I have not found one source, either written, pictured, or videoed, where some "right-handed" PSG player has their pedals under their right foot verses their left foot.
Is this even possible?
To have 3 or 4 (or more) pedals under the right foot instead of the left foot for a "right-handed" PSG player?
Is it just not practical to have right-footed pedals on a Right-Handed PSG?

Don't get me wrong. I WILL learn to use my left foot pedals if that is my only, realistic option.
I'm just curious and want to explore the possibilities, ... before I purchase my 1st PSG.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 10:03 pm    

I don't believe there is any technical reason you could not do that. There is nothing inherent in the construction of the steel that I can think of that would make it impractical to mount three pedals where (for instance) pedals 8, 9 & 10 would go.

Jerry H. Brown

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 10:14 pm    

I see your point Jon. But the price of customization (for a standard single neck guitar with 3 pedals moved to the right side) might be prohibitive for my 1st purchase, unless I can become a decent PSG luthier and make the modifications myself. Thanks for the feedback!
(Still shopping... Cool )

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 10:25 pm    

Yes, it would be a fairly labor intensive conversion. OTOH unless I'm missing something, having a new guitar built like this would not cause much added expense beyond an upcharge just for causing dyslexic headaches.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 2:05 am    

There is a good reason why both dominant limbs are used for tone production. Your second-best hand can find chord shapes on the guitar, and your left foot will do the same on the steel. Fine control of the volume pedal is crucial, as it's really an expression pedal in constant use.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 4:29 am    

Wow. Good question, and welcome to pedal steel and the forum. I applaud your preparation. Sounds like you've read the Forum for a while.
Your question made me think about foot dominance, and Ian may have the right answer.
More than several guys two-foot the steel, foregoing the volume pedal.
Still, it would be an expensive way to find out of it would work.

One of my picking pals is a lefty who plays right-handed guitar. I guess you can do anything.
Welcome again to the forum.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 5:44 am    

You can have it any way you want.

BUT, I see newbies come on and want to "reinvent the wheel" (and not just this example). However, the wheel was invented by those before us such as Buddy Emmons, Paul Bigsby, Shot Jackson, Leo Fender, and many more pioneers and experts not mentioned.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 5:52 am    

I think most players would consider a guitar with pedals on the right to be a left handed guitar. You should consider the potential resale value, those that want a left handed guitar are a small minority. It might be hard to sell if you decide to. Something to think about.

Whether you are right or left handed, playing pedal steel will seem awkward at first, it takes some time develop the dexterity needed to play. The picking hand is the most important thing, concentrate on that. The other things will fall in to place as time goes by. If I were were you, I would go with a standard, right handed pedal steel.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 5:54 am    

Welcome to the forum, Jerry!
Unless you have an existing handicap on your left foot, I’ll assure you that learning the psg is a complete overhaul of muscle memory between hands and feet anyway...in my experience. There was at least one guy on here, a few years back, that had his pedals moved over to the changer end, due to an amputation(or something?)... I recall reading about it, but can’t remember his name, or who done the work on his guitar? Seems he had his vp connected to his headgear? Anyone remember this? Perhaps I dreamed the whole thing? Enjoy your journey!

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 5:57 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
One of my picking pals is a lefty who plays right-handed guitar. I guess you can do anything.

I think it's all a matter of what you get used to. When my left handed son started playing guitar and banjo, I encouraged him to learn right handed--there is so much more choice of instruments this way. I had left handed friends who were great players who had learned right handed and heartily recommended going this way. My son learned right handed and is a much better player than I ever was.

I had a friend who was a great traditional old time mountain fiddler, guitarist and banjo player. He was left handed and learned to play right handed instruments upside down, and with his fretting hand over the top of the neck instead of underneath! Google "Bill Birchfield Upside Down Banjo" Pretty amazing.

Bottom line from my point of view is that you use both feet and both hands to play pedal steel. Whatever you get used to will work--getting use to a standard setup sure opens your options for instruments though!

Dave

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 6:19 am    

Jon Light wrote:
Yes, it would be a fairly labor intensive conversion. OTOH unless I'm missing something, having a new guitar built like this would not cause much added expense beyond an upcharge just for causing dyslexic headaches.

Maybe not, or not much. Some guitars come pre-machined for 9 or 10 pedals. My Mullen SD12 and Carter D10 are. The builder could just rod the guitar for pedals 8-10 instead of 1-3. No extra setup or machining would probably be necessary. Justice, I believe does custom work for some with disabilities. He would be a good choice. I would contact the guitar company that I was most interested in, and ask them about pedals on the right. After all, Sho-Bud did it for Don Warden.

Dyslexic headaches are an option. 🤕

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 6:29 am    

There are some good points here in favor of learning to use pedals with the left foot. You are basically learning everything from scratch.

And, I don't think resale value would be an issue if the guitar was pre-machined for 10 pedals. You would just need to move the pedal, cross shafts, and get longer pull rods. Resale value (in my opinion) shouldn't be a big factor in what you buy, unless you already plan to sell at some later date before you buy it. Buy what YOU want now, not what you think someone else will want in the future. You might end up with a guitar that isn't exactly what you want.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 6:55 am    

To go along with Jack and Edward, I would urge you not to deviate from conventional setups and instruments! That is, unless you have some sort of genuine physical impairment that precludes you from using your left foot. From what I can gather, you haven't even tried playing a pedal steel yet, but you're pretty certain of what you can and can't do with that left foot? How'd you learn how to play those other instruments?

Lose your defeatist attitude, for a while, and just try. Try playing a regular pedal steel for 6 months to a year. Then, I think you'll be better prepared to say what you can and can't do.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 10:02 am    

David Ball wrote:
I had left handed friends who were great players who had learned right handed and heartily recommended going this way. My son learned right handed and is a much better player than I ever was.

^ this. I'm left handed, but have always played acoustic/electric guitar as a righty. It makes more logical sense to me that my dominant hand is on the fretboard where all the hardest work happens.

As far as pedal steel goes, start with a standard right handed instrument. You're going to have so much muscle memory to train coordinating both hands and feet and knees that I can't see any good reason to begin as a lefty (unless you have some serious disability that makes it necessary). Also, when you make it past the initial learning curve and want to move up or add more pedal steels to your arsenal, being restricted to left handed models will make it really tough.

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 10:20 am    

About resale value; if you have been reading this forum for a while, you have seen many enthusiastic beginners.

I'm sure all of them did intend to make a serious attempt to learn this instrument. But many times, six months or a year later their guitars are for sale.

An easy to sell instrument is a plus for them. And for those that do keep playing, most will go through several guitars over the years. Might as well make it as painless as possible.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 10:40 am     Can a Right- Handed PS Guitarist Have Right Handed Pedals

Welcome to the world of steel guitar.
As some have already commented, The volume/expression pedal takes some very fine motor skills to operate properly. So nominate your right foot to that job. That way you could set down at any guitar and feel at home. You would just have to be sure it is set up Emmons/Nashville or Day like you set up your guitar.

Look at a standard right hand guitar. There is usually 9 to 12 inches of clear space where the volume pedal sits on the floor or is hooked to the pedal bar. The RKR lever is over this area too. The length of the pull rod that connects pedal 8 from the bell crank on the cross rod to the changer is about 9 to 11 inches long on most steel guitars.
If you changed the guitar to a right foot pedal guitar, You would have 3 or 4 pedal cross rods, Reversing setup for RKR and RKL linkage together in a very tight area. I am guessing the first pedal pull rods would only be 1 or 2 inches long, And on some guitars may not have enough room between the changer pulls and the bell crank on the closest cross rod.

I would suggest you turn a steel over and look at the bottom with a good steel tech to advise you. Measure and see if the change can be mechanically done, And verify there is enough space to even consider doing what you are wanting to do.

Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Jerry H. Brown

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 2:45 pm    

Wow! What a great community this is with all these thoughtful replies in such a short time from my original post.

Although the resale aspect of a standard right-handed PSG is an important consideration for a newbie like myself, if I purchase a good quality instrument from the get go (my plan all along), I don't plan to resell it, unless I can't physically play it anymore (God forbid!). Generally, I'm not in the habit of selling my instruments. I still have my original trumpets, banjo, Bass Guitars, Ukulele and Acoustic/Electric guitars. As a musician, I find it hard to part with my instruments, even when I don't play them anymore.

I'm not looking to make my path with the PSG anymore difficult that it inherently already is, but as I said in my original post, I WILL use my left foot if that is the most convenient, practical option for a right-hander to get me well on my way to playing. I would not want my 1st purchase to be cost prohibitive with undue customizations that are not "common".

Due to my (perceived) left vs right foot dexterity issues I mentioned, perhaps it would be preferable to start with the "Day" setup (C-B-A), so that the outside of my left foot can hang on the B pedal and touch/flick the A pedal (the inside of my left foot) as I have seen many players do in videos, but with the "Emmons" setup. With the Emmons setup (A-B-C), one is holding down the B pedal with the big toe side of the left foot and flicking the A pedal with the outside of the left foot. It was that motion of the left foot with the Emmons setup that got me my going on the possibilities of using another, more suited foot for that kind of foot activity. (I actually would like to add a 4th pedal for the P. Franklin setup as well. To appease some of my 'rock' sensibilities while playing.)

I get the impression from multiple sources online that changing a standard Emmons setup to a Day setup is not that difficult, so I could still get an affordable, good quality instrument with the popular Emmons setup, try that out for awhile, and if I choose, could go to the Day setup without too much hassle. A right-handed PSG with a "Day" setup would not be a hindrance to any resale, if that were the case.

Once again, Thank you all for the time you spent in reply.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 3:19 pm    

I am a Day player. What you have noticed about rocking on and off the "A" pedal is right. Many (including myself) find the Day setup more comfortable. But many find the Emmons setup to their liking.

Changing a guitar from Emmons to Day, or vice versa, depends on the guitar. Most modern "all pull" guitars are fairly easy. Older guitars like Emmons push pull, Sho-Bux rack and barrel, and pull-release guitars can be a little more difficult. It will also depend on how mechanically inclined someone is. If you are buying new, get it setup how you think you will want it. It looks like you have done a lot of research.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 3:30 pm    

Most players have the right foot on the volume pedal, and the right knee levers very close to directly under the changer. (Old ZBs are an exception.)

I suspect having the floor pedals on the right foot would force the floor pedals to be shifted to the left (away from directly under the changer). That would probably be an unnatural position for many players.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 3:52 pm    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
Most players have the right foot on the volume pedal, and the right knee levers very close to directly under the changer. (Old ZBs are an exception.)

I suspect having the floor pedals on the right foot would force the floor pedals to be shifted to the left (away from directly under the changer). That would probably be an unnatural position for many players.

Pedals on the left are also shifted in from the end of the guitar. Not much difference.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 4:56 pm    

Aren't most of us right-handed, doing fancy footwork with the left foot? It never occurred to me that preference for one hand or the other extended to feet. Nor have I heard of this issue from any other player.

As a newbie, using either foot on the pedals is going to be awkward. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. It sounds like your foot works best with the Day setup, so maybe give that a shot? A custom guitar is fine, but entering that world means you will always have to upgrade to other custom guitars. And I have a sneaking suspicion that it's so unnecessary to go down that path, driven as it is by what you said was only a perception of left-foot inadequacy...

Last edited by Tucker Jackson on 19 Jan 2019 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 5:18 pm    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
Aren't most of us right-handed, doing fancy footwork with the left foot? It never occurred to me that preference for one hand or the other extended to feet.

Yup! If you kicked something, which foot would you use? Or, if you climbed a ladder, which foot would you start with? People that are right-footed are far more numerous...just like right-handed people. Winking

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 5:27 pm    

Yeah, that's true. The world is full of right-footed people -- and almost all are working PSG pedals on the left.

Others have pointed out the importance of the nuance involved in good volume pedal work. I wouldn't want my 'dog' foot working that one either. Really, you need to be ambidextrous.

Keep us posted, Jerry, and please let us see pictures if you have a guitar set up that way. I see no technical (or financial) reason why one couldn't be built to your specifications if that's what you land on. Donny gave some great advice earlier: it would be nice if you could test drive a standard PSG for a few months before buying. Do you know any steelers in your area who could rent you an instrument?

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 6:47 pm    

I advise against right handed pedals for a myriad of reseaons:

[1] You would relegate yourself to a lifetime of buying only custom-made guitars. You would not be able to take the opportunity to buy most of the fine used guitars offered on the forum or elsewhere

[2] You would not be able to comfortably "sit-in" on other guitars at jams or gigs. Similarly, you wouldn't truly be able to demo other brands of guitars which you are considering for purchase.

[3] Lastly, the pedal and knee lever technique is the easiest part of learning steel. It's the right and left hands (as well as the brain) which pose the geatest technical challanges. Keep in mind that most right handed folks who drive cars with manual transmissions have no problem using their left foot on the clutch - which is the pedal that requires the most finesse.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 8:42 pm    

I believe Lloyd Green is left handed, yet plays right hand pedal steel guitars. Consider Rory Hoffman & Jeff Healey on “conventional guitars played in very unconventional” way. If your situation were mine...I would stay with a “typically” set up pedal steel. Anyway you look at it, you’re in for a challenge to learn to play the thing.